Tuesday, November 5, 2019

12,263. RUDIMENTS, pt. 860

RUDIMENTS, pt. 860
(I hope there's a new plague)
What does a wise man use
to tend to his hair? A sage
brush, why of course! Yes,
I was always at work on
words. Curse the Gods
again. Everything is humor
or it's nothing at all. One
day I was thinking about
time, the kind of time I
was running out of, like
getting old, and then I
figured again it was all
illusion and who cared
anyway. So, I was thinking
instead about Edmund
Wilson. He's a grand old
American writer, dead
long-time now, of the sort
they used to call, on the
continent, a 'man of letters.'
Which meant like writer,
critic, 'conosewer' of Art
and all that, and always at
the ready with a new book
or essay, or lecture or some
dicey fiction, some arty
'experimental' monkey-shine.
Like the late Harold Bloom,
but not. In America there have
only been maybe four or five
of these real characters, six
if you wish to count Susan
Sontag (debatable). He
lived his waning years in
Talcotttville. New York
State that is, up the river
some. It's pretty far up, and
inland, by Leyden, north west
of Saratoga. So I went there.
Nice place -  he had a real
good-looking early 1800's
home. It was a good place
for him to be hanging out.
I guess he had a vehicle,
or maybe there was train
service or something,
because he came  and
went often enough to
NYC too, so he had to
have transportation. It
was curious  -  he wrote
lots of  and I always found
them interesting, erudite, and
wise (like that sage brush thing
again, except he was mostly
bald), but his peculiar claim
to fame, from 1929, was a
novel or whatever called 'I
Thought of Daisy.' In 1929's
version of risque, I put it
gently, the book was, and
is still, famed for perhaps
the most perfect, in a literary
way, description of what the
scribes in those days called
'the female genitalia.' Imagine
that! One of America's finest
scribes, after all that work,
living on for that one description
of some very fine subject matter.
So, you don't need me to tell
you; check it out. No, stupid,
I mean the book.
-
At least he thought of something.
I had the hardest time realizing 
that most people were thinking
of nothing. Bigelow's Pharmacy,
over there on Sixth Ave., by
Eight Street, right down from
where I was, it was filled,
always, with what appeared to
be people thinking of nothing. 
I can't say for sure, of course,
but empty-headed is a good a
start as any. Or anywhere else;
people in line for yet another
bagel, or hot dog, papaya juice,
crumpets, doughnuts, some
sort of phylo-dough stuff or
whatever it was, and knishes.
Good old knishes. When I first
arrived there, they were new to
me. I'd get them, just down the
street, west, from the Studio
School, at this little walk-up 
place that overlooked the street.
25 cents! These things were 
big and stuffed too, not all
cheaped out. Coffee was ten 
cents. A potato knish of that
magnitude was almost like
a meal. A real quiet meal too.
I didn't have to talk, or move
on. Life right then was too
good to me. Pronouncing the
k's, I'd go up to the guy at
the register to order, and
usually, after he got to see
me enough, 'You k-now I
want a k-nish, right? And a
soffee.' Ha. Funny stuff,
those c's and k's. He'd laugh,
and we'd start talking about
Lebanon. Where he was from,
back when Beirut was a nice,
fancy, cosmopolitan city famed
for the way all its divergent
races and religion (the big three,
Christian, Jewish, and Muslim)
co-existed peacefully, to make
a thriving, positive city. That was
then, and soon after, but the mid
70's, it all blew apart. Maronite
Christians, regular Christians,
Jews and Muslims all fighting
at each other, blowing the city
up to smithereens (down, I guess,
actually) and no one ever talked
about that graceful era of peaceful
living ever again. But, I suppose,
that's the Middle East for you.
That knish place was really cool;
it's long-gone now, like the rest
of everything in that area. The
place has since gone through
probably four new layers of
destitution. Bookstores, gone.
Shoe stores, gone. Art supplies,
gone. Photo shops, gone. 
Records and tapes, fashions,
etc. All gone, until what's left
now is a ghosted Eighth Street
strip of jumbled memories (The
Jumple Shop, gone. Rienzi's,
gone), mostly resembling a
post-apocalyptic storybook
with the covers blown off it
and pages missing. The parts
you don't get to read are the
parts you never end up knowing 
about. Like Life. Like living.
Like me. A salt-water fish
in a fresh-water pool of junk.
-
Have you noticed the scattershot,
staccato manner I wrote this in;
I chose it by design, mainly because,
as I write this, there are a few more
Mexicans in a tree within my vision,
cutting down that large, tall tree. The
house is vacant and the real estate
bastards who do these things decide,
always, that the 'fixed up' house (what
they call it, which usually means tacky,
tan cheap siding, a stupid-looking fake,
plastic banister at the front (required
now by law) and moronic, bare
gardening, will sell better. Day after
day, this white truckload of Mexicans,
who talk scattershot, loud, and perversely
idiotically (I know know base Spanish
to catch their rapid-fire, giggly talk), go
on and on, loudly. I'm busy here painting
my large ICE sign, and their staccato
talk has caught me up. The local fake
political dudes, they love all this stuff.
All one-dimensional men, seeing 
one-dimensional things, in a
three-dimensional world they then
ignore. (Hope there's a new plague
they all can catch). I remember,
in NYC, how surprised I was in
1967 to meet and see and realize
that Native Americans  -  actual
American Indians  -  lived in NYC.
I knew two of them, and it was,
back then, startling. They were
distant, and lanky, and strange.'
Something there was that was
other-worldly about them. It's 
not like that with today's rather
childlike, by contrast, Mexicans.
They seem, instead of reverent to
Nature and the Great Spirit and their
willingness to preserve our world,
intent on hiring out to cut and pillage
it; defoliate it as tree-trimmers and
gardeners by the hordes, babbling
away in what seems like a mad
and illegitimate tongue. Sagebrush?
Isn't that from the Southwest?






No comments: