Saturday, November 2, 2019

12,256. RUDIMENTS, pt. 858

RUDIMENTS, pt. 858
(am I blind yet?)
Father Jude (patron saint
of hopeless cases), in the
seminary, was my 'Spiritual
Advisor.' That was a title 
they gave to the faculty 
priest who was supposed
to guide us along and assist
us in personal, spiritual, faith
and growing-up problems. 
It was a real problem  -  kids
jerking off, taunting each other
sexually (I only recently did
hear, in the last few years, of 
some rather bewildering
hook-ups that were going on
of which, honestly, at the time
I had no clue. These dudes
were my peers, for goodness
sake!). What they expected
'Jude' to do about it was
beyond me. The guy was 
about as dull as a baseball
bat anyway. Smoked a pipe.
Had thick, black-rimmed
glasses, and was about 6 feet
tall, in the crazy and usual
black robe and beads and
cross and all. These guys 
all looked dark-side wizards.
He'd sit there, speaking in
his monotone, while cleaning
or disassembling a pipe, or
smoking one  -  talking in a
gentle manner about things 
that should or should not be
happening. Not as if there
was a solution to be had, just
rather that he was sort of
'aware' of the situations, about
how teen boys wake up, etc,
the kind of things that happen.
His idea was to get minds off
all that, but not by thinking
about weightier matters, instead
seeking solace in sports, outdoors,
and Holy Mother the Church.
Excuse me, what? Holy Mother
the Church? Thanks. A real
heap of help that was.
-
Paucity of effects, but plenty
of evidence. The Sunday New
York Times Magazine section,
with those full-page, in color,
underwear ads, models, girls,
yeah, those things got pawed
through like they were holy writ.
I fully expected someone to
go into Jude's office and simply 
ask, 'Am I blind yet?' That would
have been pretty funny, to go in
there crashing into the door and
wall and desk and chairs, fumbling
around. In addition, I used to
chuckle to myself picturing him
 saying, 'Me? My son, how do you
think I got these glasses?' Not 
that everyone there liked girls,
for sure. The 'other' side was
fairly represented too  -  guys
against guys, as it were. Like
sports, one-on-one. Everything
was deeply symbolic; it was a
wreck of a place with, really,
no place to go. A captive bunch
of boys  - either ridiculously
pious and overly weak and
religious, or starved, crazed,
and over-the-top drooling 
over awakened 14-year old
sexuality. 'Dear Father...
I have sinned.'
-
I have sinned. I have smiled.
I have sank. I have smirked.
I have sucked.  I have sneaked.
All that stuff could go on and
on. It was a litany. Father Jude
had his hands full, and that
ain't no pun.
-
Father Jude drove a black, 1955
Ford. It too was pretty funny. He
looked a bit like the father of
Dennis the Menace, in it. The
heavy-rimmed black glasses
frames, the upright posture,
the pipe. He did everything all
slow and deliberate, and he drove
like that too. I never knew where
any of these guys went, but they'd
be seen driving off, down the
long roadway that exited the
place. There were a small number
of cars around, maybe between
twenty of them (a guess) there
were 5 cars, and I guess they
pooled them, using what they
needed when. I never saw more
than one in a car at any one time.
It was kind of weird. They came
and went. The house they all lived
in was a large, rambling place up
the top of the area, near the old,
round, buffalo barn. (The place
itself, all those acres, up through
the 1940, had been, yes, a buffalo
farm? Also kind of weird. Bison
meat? In deep south Jersey?). There
were, here and there, remnants of
all what once must have been. We
had a regular, working barn over 
at the other end of the farm, with 
cows, both Holstein and Jersey 
(brown) cows. But over at the
priest-house section was the round, 
buffalo, barn. In between all that
was walkways, grassy meadows,
a large pepper field, the seminary
buildings, the drama-stage, the chapel,
and the 'refectory' (where we all ate,
as one). There was a gym, tennis
courts, ball fields, and a high-jump
thing. Pole-vaulting. It was all
pretty cool   - stage, showers,
lounge-rooms, recreation areas,
and the rest. Then dormitories 
and classrooms too. There was
a lot to take in, and each year 
the new crop of kids would be 
running scared for the first three
weeks or so, getting the layout
and the feel of the place, always 
unsure, never knowing what to
expect. Shit-scared, as it was. 
In  a place like that, who could 
blame them? The promise of
sanctity and seclusion, always
held out before them, was really
hard to come by. At least boys
didn't get pregnant. I guess.
-
Indentured servant? Servant of
the Lord? Survivor of the most
fit? Strangest man in the oasis?
Any of those four categories, 
and a hundred more, could be 
held out for anyone. Each of
us, it seemed, had their own
horror story  -  the reason 
they'd left home, what they'd
left behind, and why? None of
it was much pretty. My friend,
John, from Brooklyn, he had
his tales of family woe. John
liked Rudi Nureyev, a famed
Bolshoi Ballet guy who'd
defected or something while 
on tour. He'd taken NYC by
storm, all those Lincoln Center
and Jackie Kennedy types set
to swooning. John called him
'Fruity Rudy.' It sounded so
perfectly right, so sing-song,
so pure. I used to think that part
of the 'privilege' of being from
Brooklyn or New York was to
have opinions and knowledge
about such matters. Like the
Bolshoi Ballet, and Rudi
Nureyev, etc. Turned out I 
was way wrong, but whatever.
I wouldn't know a ballet
from a valet at that time.








No comments: