Monday, November 18, 2019

12,300. RUDIMENTS, pt. 872

RUDIMENTS, pt. 872
(spin that roulette wheel again)
One odd thing that's
always been about me  -
since I returned to life
anyway, after the coma
and stuff  -  has been the
effect I have upon
electricity. Yes, that will
need some clarification.
But. If you have a radio
or car-relay thing or
some switch or appliance
that's working perfectly,
just put me within proximity
to it and watch what happens.
I'm serious : Headlight
dimmers, sensors, garage
door openers and the like.
I get around them, they
soon begin going flooey.
It bugged me for a long
time. It was an annoyance.
Large or small, didn't matter.
I could crash-land a lunar
rover, running remotely,
just by stepping onto a
Nasa control room. I told
it to the draft guys, when
they finally nabbed me and
started their questioning,
but it all meant nothing to
them. They thought I was
nuts  -  which was fine by
me since, cumulatively, it
all went into why I got my
4-F deferment for, why,
for being nuts! I went from
being a criminal to an outcast
in ten minutes, never even
realizing there's a difference
between the two. Actually I
told them that and a lot more
too, which obviously worked.
A guy asked me once, 'How'd
you get that, 4F? Usually you
can't get that unless your
missing an arm or a leg.' I
blew him off by then saying...
'Uh, got hit by train once?....'
Actually, the draft board guys,
when I presented some doctor
note about the train injuries,
they said 'That was a long 
time ago, (it was like 9 years
then); we don't care about that,
we care about now.' Jerks. I
felt like saying, 'OK, yeah,
like the French weren't in
Vietnam getting their ass
kicked in Dienbienphu, 
1954? You suck-heads are 
still fighting that one.
-
Anyway, back to electricity.
One time, my friend and I
happened to walk in, along
with his 10 year old son,
to a pizza place, and it had
a juke box in the corner, large
sized, on the floor. I bet the
kid a quarter, while we were
waiting, that if I got up and
walked over to it, and touched
it, I could get it going and we'd
hear music. I got up and started
walking towards it, and it came
on! Surprising even me. The
kid was floored. I let him keep
his quarter. (I found out later,
but kept it to myself, that
these juke-box things most
often have a self-regulator on
them, to entice people, where,
if they're not played for fifteen
minutes or so they randomly
turn themselves on and play a
tune. Which would, of course,
account for why I'd not had to
select a song myself for it to
play). Anyway, it was funny,
even if it was actually the 
opposite of the bad effect I 
usually have upon such 
implements.
-
And, one further thing, and not to
toot my own horn, but after the
train accident I remained prone
to a lot of weird things. I read
some stuff about that electrical
sensitivity effect, and actually
found some weird material about
it, but it was all clothed in that
psychic, extra-sensory tone which
threw me off   -  the point was
the 'such people' are more active,
in terms of psychic energy and
electro-magnetism being generated
to alter the spaces around them
and recreate the positions and
activities of atoms and the
energy patterns of the unseen
world lying just outside of our
conscious realm. According to
them, I was a walking, psychic
energy field. Yeah right then. I
tried it once on the subway; told
the token-booth guy I wasn't going
to pay and if he objected then I'd
shut down the entire entry-kiosk
and turnstile operation just by
touching it.  I forget right now
if he let me through or called
the cops. It was long ago.
-
It was so long ago yet it seems
like yesterday! Have you ever
had that happen? For me, I do
feel like I'm walking backwards.
I had a discussion just the other
day with some guy named Rodney,
the caretaker or groundskeeper,
in some cemetery I was in. He
came over to talk with me and
see the dog  -  nicest guy, said he
was 50, and it was all bothering
him. He lit up a cigarette (you don't
really see that too much anymore)
and as we talked he was puffing
away. Responding to all his words
about his new, age '50' and how he
didn't feel he fit in any more, didn't
like the world as it was, sometimes
just got away, by himself, on his
motorcycle, to the Poconos, etc.,
etc. (4 daughters, and a wife. I told
him I could sympathize, I guess).
Anyway, I told him it all got easier
and how, at 70, I simply enjoyed it
and took it all in stride and how I
felt like I was just walking through
my own past, whether backward
or not I didn't know, and how
that wasn't so bad. He said he liked
that idea, and would start using it.
We were both both standing there
in front of a newly-installed
memorial stone over a grave
that had previously been there
for many, many years, with just an
an old, brown-stone marker and name
and date; (see photo). He said some
group just paid for that new marker,
and it said 'here lies......who was
the man-servant (slave) for life
of......'  -  which name it turns
out is one of the big-deal rah-rah
names of one of the families
who founded this place in the
1600's. Ain't that bewitching!
We both got a good chuckle.
-
All these founding families around
here, all those God-fearing founders
of Woodbridge,  and their quite 
normal secrets dead with them,
always amaze me. If this place was
built on holy ground  -  the blood
of those early soldiers and dead
Royalists over in the Episcopalian
graveyard just one churchyard
over  -  those early families have
a lot of it on their trail. Streets and
plazas and ballfields named after
them too. If I was one of those
pudding-head softees now who
get all offended and sensitive
if they find a stain in their 
undies, I'd start a movement to 
have everything named Freeman 
around here removed. Isn't all
that funny anyway. A last name
like Freeman, plastered all over
the place around here, with a
slave-holding grave, and poor
Jack even got to use THEIR last
name! Freeman! Hey, Mister  - 
spin that roulette wheel again.

No comments: