Tuesday, November 12, 2019

12,281. RUDIMENTS, pt. 866

RUDIMENTS, pt. 866
(yes, I was granted entry)
I heard of a lot of things in
my short time, things I never
had known of before. It
was the only thing some
days, that kept me going.
That first Winter, of 1967
rolling into 1968, was the
most brutally cold I'd ever
experienced  -  mainly
because I had nothing.
You need to understand,
about 509 e11th street,
what it was all like. I
stumbled on that place,
as I've related before, in
a sort of blindness, with
the help of Andy Bonamo.
He was the person, AFTER
I rented it and set myself up,
for 60 bucks a month, in
what was basically a brick
cave, looking out, in one
direction (rear) to an airshaft,
and in the other to a door.
Interior brick that's over a
hundred years old, and which
had probably withstood the
use and abuse of maybe 5 sets
of immigrant families, ages
differently. It ages in sorrow
and with a powdering away,
slowly, over time. You'd be
surprised about interior brick,
how it's lie a memory sponge,
of smells and aromas. I'd never
been in a space like that before,
closeted space, raw and clear
of anything. Worn away at the
sills and floor, 3 and a half
rooms, and a 'bathroom'  -  if
you so deign to call it  -  that
was the extent of this kingdom.
I can only say I remember the
first day, setting it up with rent
and a security month, and a
mere handshake. He took my
name and all, I know that, but
I can't remember signing
anything, nor can I remember
setting up any services. I guess
maybe Andy did all that, later,
after he'd invited himself in
I'd accepted. The landlord guy,
superintendent too I guess,
and Andy worked everything
else out. There was electrical
service, so they must have
switched an account. I can't
remember if it has stove gas.
I certainly can't remember how
it went for heat either. I guess
maybe the entire building was
on one boiler or furnace, shared?
In all other aspects that was
about it for me  -  I never
paid rent again  - he and
Andy worked out some deal
between them for a channel
open for drugs, enough to
cover the rent anyway. I
never asked anything about
what was going on. I didn't
care and, soon enough, it
hardly was my place any
more, except in name. I
came and went, having the
newer set-up of living in
the basement at the Studio
School, by myself and in
far better glory, which I
liked much more. 
-
Back to these bricks; I could
get a feel from this building
that there must have once
been a lot of drama here  -
family things, all those heavy
generation of immigrants.
The streets were still crowded
and teeming, but mostly, in '67,
it was Hispanic. The blare of
that culture : radio noise, conga
music, horns, loud people.
Because of the confinements,
mixed with the prevailing
culture, much of it, in the
Summer anyway, was lived
outdoors. There were people
everywhere  -  enough to need
crawlspace sometimes over 
and around them on the entry 
or exiting of the buildings. Of
course, early on too, it was
as hot in August as it was
cold by November. The heat
seemed simply to drive the
people out  -  most of the
living was done outdoors. The
area of e11th, too, was in the
throws them of some strange
transition  -  Tompkins Square
Park having turned into a sort
of hippie-central right at that
time. There was some animosity,
but nothing really ever surfaced,
as people (like me) got these
old crappy apartments for the,
I guess, prevailing rents, or
maybe a little more (hippie
gouging)  -  but it introduced
an entire other 'culture,' shall
I say, or lifestyle, accidental
at best, but a lifestyle. I could
imagine the conflict of the
stuck-Hispanics facing off
these new who-cares-what
freestyle kids flooding in.
The hippie girls were one
thing  -  with their scant 
blouses and free-form ways
of clothing and carrying 
themselves, but the local
Spanish girls  -  believe you
me  -  ran pretty equal in
most of those respects. It
was always awkward  -  super
tight jeans and blistering tops,
 and a sort of exhibitionist
'what-up-wid-you, boy'
disdain for protocol. And
sometimes, yeah, the heat 
really does make you wince.
-
These were the sort of late
60's years when the 'bike' 
in urban spaces wasn't yet
socially acceptable. I had
French racer, like 16-speed
I guess, (sprocketed 4 in 
the front and 4 in the rear; 
so 4X4 equaling 16, I
guessed  -  in any case, for
me it was a one-speed), taken
from what may or may not
have been a garbage heap
out front of a dwelling. I
got it set up, since nothing
was working and I had no
repair money, to go as a
one-speed, and that's how
I went around, or a while.
When the e11th street place
finally got raided by the cops,
everything was taken away,
including that bicycle, and
replaced by really nice police
tape. Of course, having been
gone from there, I did not
know this until I arrived on
a scene of desolation, a few
days, I was told, after the 
fact. Billy Joe, and Holly, 
my upstairs neighbors (I've 
written about them here 
too, long ago back in some 
way early chapter), filled 
me in, and also advised
that, perhaps, it would be
a good idea if I stayed 
away now, for a while, 
a long while, since the
place had been in my 
name, and what little 
they knew was the less 
than better to add to. The 
problem was, we'd been 
harboring fugitives, that
being my word, for AWOL
runaways from Vietnam 
military assignments. It
was all a sort of 1960's
Underground Railroad stay
over safe-house for those, 
male and female, on their 
ways to Canada. Much of
this madness  -  16 bodies,
all over the floor, sleeping,
fornicating, you name it;
besides the pot and other
drugs being freely dispensed
and sold by Andy, my 
pharmacy-maven 'roomie.'
[That's a modern word. It
did really exist then].
The things that went on 
were legion  -  vans and 
cars, clothes and shoes, 
things abandoned and
left behind. (Right behind
too, for that matter, since the
place was running as a half
nudist hippie colony anyway). 
People came, people went; I
went back there one day, and
the person at the doorway, not
knowing me, wouldn't let me in.
'Excuse me, Sergeant Pepper,
it's my place you're in...' Yes,
I was granted entry. This holy
of holies was no Valhalla, 
but it came close.
-
The thing about all this was there
was never any script. I was winging
it and it was all coming at me as
it developed. I didn't really know
anything about what was going on,
nor into what I'd somehow stepped.
These apartment people they'd say
'You're nice, you talk good, you 
should make sure people hear
you, explain things to them for us.'
That was a reference to all this
anti-war crap that we'd all
gotten mixed up with; the silly
apartment had become a semi
headquarters of sorts of some
serious street-action people. It
was all easy for them to say; in 
three days or so they'd be out 
of there and  on their way to 
Hotel Brontosaurus  (that was 
our code name for Toronto, 
somehow. Another one was 
'Torontosaurus Next)I never had
heard of anyone NOT making it, 
it all seemed so easily successful, 
though I never knew how it all 
had gotten started, nor even 
where this  Andy' character fit in.






No comments: