Friday, November 29, 2019

12,338. RUDIMENTS, pt. 884

RUDIMENTS, pt. 884
(shooting fish in a barrel)
Hassle-free cops? I wonder. Back
about, oh, I forget the year, I parked
next to a friend's house in Avenel, on
Chase Avenue, to be exact, in front
of the neighbor's house. The kid
that lived in the house, some little
pesky 12-year old, put his bike
down in front of my car, as a
snarky challenge to blocking me
from leaving. Something about
not wanting me in front of the
house. I told the kid if he didn't
move the bike in a few minutes,
I'd simply run over it as I left.
He didn't; I did. Turns out the
kid's father was a not-so-friendly
cop. Boy did I take a go-round
on that one. Just goes to show
the law hides in the most
unlikely places; that's their
game  -  like the cop cars you
see now, 70 feet off the road,
thinking they're actually hidden
from view, just waiting for
scanning as each car rolls by.
Dorks have better chances in a
whorehouse. The other night I
had a cop over to my house. I
didn't even know it. The phone
rings, I answer and the voice on
the other end says, 'Sir, this is
Dispatch. You called a little
while back; could you please
step out of your house, I have an
officer there wishing to talk with
you.' I said, 'Huh?' So she repeated
it. Twenty minutes previous I had
called in (it was like 10pm) and
said, with annoyance, that for the
4th night in a row there were what
sounded like gunshots outside, in
the fields, or what's left, at the
new apartments they built, and
the fragmented woods that run
over to the prison.  I said it was an
annoyance, my dog was bothered,
it didn't sound like the geese-cannon
they occasionally use to scatter the
flocks (there are none now), and it
certainly wasn't firecrackers. Which
I often hear too. I said it wasn't in
the bargain that I had to now live
with such crap going on and I wanted
it checked out, and/or stopped. Period.
-
So, they sent a cop over. 'Sir, you 
called about gunshots at the prison? 
4 or 5 nights in a row? Can I have
your full name and this address
please.' He's writing down, in his
little pad, all the while. It was dark,
his cop car was at the curb, and 
my front light at the end of the walk 
was on, where we stood. So I had to 
re-explain it all, how I didn't define 
it was; I had not said it was gunshots
at the prison.  The point being I didn't 
know what it was and that was the 
problem. He starts then asking 
questions,  leading questions, I
thought, as if I were an idiot. I said, 
'Look, I know the difference in 
percussions, and so does my dog,
as does my wife (she was there, to
witness this). This is not a fireworks, 
and not a goose cannon. It's from 
over there  - perhaps they're 
shooting at deer (plentiful now, 
with occasional herd-culling)  -  
and then I also had to say how 
the Linden Police Shooting range
is right over there, through
the swamps as the crow flies, 
and though I sometimes hear that 
too, this was not it. Those police
firings were in volleys, as if timed,
maybe 20-30 shots in quick
succession. This was not; rather
these were 2, maybe 3 shots (all
sounding very much like the
sounds of old Pennsylvania
hunting seasons). So, this stalwart
young officer tried to make sense
out of this odd house-call, as did I.
My complaint was about myself,
rather about 'over there'  -  as I
pointed. Curiously enough, even
baffling to me, and oddly-phrased
too, he turned to where I pointed  -
which was apartments and woods  -
and simply said, 'Well, we have do
have a man over there, (meaning a
cop), but I'll put this report out and
we'll keep eyes and ears open.' I had
no clue what that meant either.
And he left...Pretty weird.
-
See, the thing about ignorant people,
which , in this case I hoped I was not,
is how they insist on taking up the
time of others' regardless of the value
of the claim  -  part of their procedure
is to weave you in, bungle you up,
and entrap you after you are drawn
into their web. That's just how it goes,
and how they operate, and it happens
all the time. I sincerely hope this isn't
how I came across, but at that point
I nearly felt as if I was the fool here.
When you're running a town, or a part
of the town, that takes responsibility
for nothing, and owns up to nothing.
nor announces anything publicly, 
what is the average schmuck (like me) 
to do, having no recourse? If I take
up a rifle and stalk the same area of
the noises, I'd be arrested. If I shot
back, randomly, in the direction
of them, I'd get apprehended. I 
went to Paddock Street, with my 
dog, and was told to leave by some
shirt and tie geek  -  it was private
state property, in a white 
mystery-building.
-
When a cop hides out today, with the
scanners and plate readers and all that,
it's pretty much a leisure activity. Take
as an example, the other morning,
Woodbridge car 7  - windows half
down, plumes of vapor smoke wafting
out the windows, parked at the back
end of Merril Park with, maybe, a
park roadway 1000 feet off, with the
small chance of a speeder or violator.
I have no idea who thinks such a thing
is enforcement, and at 70+ bucks an hour
too, but it goes on. The old way of hiding
cops was some stumblebum cop and
car partially concealed behind a 
billboard for 'Sno-Cone Charley's
Chicken and Cream stand, don't miss
it, 3 miles on the right!'  -  no more of
that these days. The hidden agenda of
things now is that YOU, and me, are
the outside agitators, for whom the
deserved 'watching' is never enough,
while apparently, the 'police' now cover
for the local, theft-laden, creepy
business-interests within the town,
be it real-estate, subsidized housing,
graft or pass-along corruption.
How to figure that? I don't know.
I'd rather run over some brat kid's
bicycle, and take my punishment.
-
I think it's all too much, and way past
the point of no-return. Truthfully.
Everything's a slanderous mess, with
crooks and prevaricators everywhere
but no one cross-examines them.


No comments: