Tuesday, March 12, 2019

11,604. RUDIMENTS, pt. 621

RUDIMENTS, pt. 621
('Salvation grammar, linger close.')
I spent many a night in Elmira
working past any reasonable
sense of goodness. So often,
most any thing became a strain.
We had a dog named Baretta 
back then  -  strange strain of
home-bound, large, pleasant
dog. One time  -  I forget all the
incidentals  -  but we decided
to trek up to Rutland, Vermont,
that area, to this huge old barn
that had been turned into an
oddball bookstore. Not really
a 'store' except that they sold
books  -  but it was more like
you just walked through this
barn and there were piles and
piles of half-organized books
and subjects, for sale. Probably 
a hundred years of countryside
homes and houses and libraries 
that had turned into estates to
be liquidated. We never made
it; that trip anyway.
-
You yourself can go look at a
map and see the proximate
relationship, on a diagonal, 
between Elmira, NY and 
Rutland, Vt. The name of the
place we were headed to was
the Owl Pen Books company.
You know, owls are wise, thus
book people are wise and smart;
etc., blah, blah. I was driving
a FIAT 124 wagon, some early
70's version of cheap vehicle
I'd bought. We brought the
dog along, figuring two 
nights out and back, maybe.
The car had an electric fuel
pump, in the rear, under the
rear/carpet portion of the
station wagon back-end.
It would 'click' as you were 
driving, audible if you listened,
and that was the sound then 
of the functioning fuel pump.
We got as far as Unadilla, NY
somewhere, when the clicking
stopped, as did the car. Just
quit. Pretty fortunately, we 
rolled into town as it died, 
and it came to a stop just 
about in front of this diner 
place. I figured I'd take a
look at the 'problem,' in the
rear of the car, while my
wife and small son went 
into the diner and had a 
breakfast, (it was about 
10 or 11am). The diner
had a large, glass front,
with booths and all that.
Anyone, or any of the
regulars, would sit there 
and look out as they ate,
passing the time of day,
whatever. The dog is in 
the car, and I'm in the rear,
fiddling around with the
fuel pump  - which I'd 
dismantled some, seeing a
broken connection, which 
I undertook to 'fix,' at least
enough to move on. I guess
they'd asked my wife what 
the problem was, and maybe 
she'd said 'fuel pump.' As it
was, these local country 
types, I guess never before
having experienced a 'foreign'
car (that's what they used to
be called, kiddies, if they
weren't Ford, Chevy, or
Chrysler) thought I was the
funniest fool they'd ever
seen, digging around for the
'fuel pump' in the rear of a
car as I was. I became the
butt, she said, of all their
fascinating jokes. It was 
probably a bit awkward for
the wife and son to hear
me so belittled, but at the 
time I knew nothing of it.
Let me point out, however,
and at the same time, that 
not a one of these rural
dog-pound porch-dwellers
ever came out to offer help,
ask questions, or anything 
of that sort. They probably
knew they were due home
to do the white-boy laundry 
that was piled on the porch
next to the washing machine
that was also out on the porch.
Out in that super-country area
most everything eventually 
ended up on the front porch,
conveniently out of the way of
the last 9 broken-down autos
that usually ended up all along
the lawn and side grass too.
There were generations of
dead appliances, boots and
TV's on people porches back
up there. No one cared much.
-
I kind of understood these New
York State farmer-hillbilly rednecks'
concentrations on my task. And their
befuddlement. I grant you, at that
time fuel pumps were certainly
NOT located in the rear of a car, a
front-engined car no less, and were
 also not 'supposed' to be electric.
It didn't get to their shadings of
school and barnyard-taught reality.
Who'd ever expect, snuggled up with 
some Sally-Jane in the backseat of
the old '56 Chevy that sits on the
front lawn of the farmhouse, next
to the barrel-crate where the
water-jug is kept in the Summer, 
to find the fuel pump, electric at 
that, in the rear? ('Sally, hon, you
wanna just shift us over a little bit....
yeah, yeah, that's better').....
-
Along the way, in the dark night,
I remember passing through a town
called, simply, Sheds. As in 'Sheds,
NY'   - it was a nasty roadside bar,
long and narrow, facing the road,
and a few business and yard-lots
selling, yep, sheds! And offering
to truck'em anywhere for ya' too!
I thought to myself, using that
literal town-naming logic that 
seemed so prevalent out in the
real sticks here, that just up the
road had to be 'Beat the Wife, NY' 
and that other town of 'Poke the 
Dog With a Stick, NY,' as well. 
We really wanted to stop, and 
needed a break too, but we kept
on going. But, anyway, that was
a different trip. Back now to this:
-
I did get the stupid old FIAT
going, and it got us out of town.
I didn't think twice about the
diner rats  -  they'd could all
rot in Hell for all I cared, and
anyway, I'd proved them 
wrong by getting going again 
and beating town. Well, we
got maybe 20 miles off or so,
and the whole thing blew.
Fuel was dripping down, the
car was dead, there was nothing
more to do. It was a big road,
almost an interstate kind of
thing, in the middle of nowhere,
and we were stuck. And then,
yep! twenty minutes maybe,
here comes a State Trooper
right up to us. I was expecting
all sorts of problems. We must
have really looked motley and
beleaguered over the whole 
thing. Instead of handcuffs
and chains, I'd somehow gotten
the nicest NYState Trooper
you'd probably find. He went
over the situation with me,
point by point. Saw the kid; 
the wife, and the dog too.
Heard our trip plans, aborted
by now, of course. Finances
too would have been a problem, 
but he said he'd get us time
to pay on a return trip. He
got us a tow truck and a tow
to some garage, and then offered
to take us to the bus station for
the ride home, to come back, 
and pay for the car services,
when it got fixed. That was OK,
but I pointed out the dog and
said to the effect that there
wasn't any bus back nowhere
that would take the dog.
The cop-guy then offered 
to board and hold the dog 
for us, and at his home! We
could get it when we came 
back. Pretty amazing, so far,
and it was all good. So that's
what we ended up doing, and
exactly that. We got a bus back
to Elmira, I guess we had the
fare for that, I can't remember,
and about  days later got the
call the car was ready. We 
bused back to that town,
got the car paid up, and got
the dog too. It was all so much
amazement, I was floored.
-
Just like Sheds was a sheds town,
Unadilla was, back then anyway,
a silo town. There was a large
silo brand name back then  -
Unadilla Silo Co  -  old style,
pretty simple silos, not those
newer-style Harvestores that
were just company in. They 
were Cadillac silos to Unadilla's
Ford/Chevy, rather pedestrian,
silos. This whole town was a
silo town. It was really pretty
cool. Electric fuel-pumped or
not. It made no difference.




No comments: