Sunday, March 10, 2019

11,601.RUDIMENTS, pt. 619

RUDIMENTS, pt. 619
(he didn't notice that the light had changed...)
I kept running into a lot
of oddball situations. The
tenor (almost rather a tremor)
of 1967 NYC was something
I'd not beheld before. I was
dead, smack alone. Unattached
to anything, and I'd simply
dropped myself into the
center of it all based on not
much more than my half
fabricated version of myself.
My initial steps out were,
thanks to a wonderful help
from the 'lady' at the Studio
School  -  of whom at the
time I knew nothing  -  who
took me in, almost blindly,
saw potential in whatever
I was trying or intending
to do, and accepted me. I'll
write more on her later. It
was a big, nay, major, step
in keeping me going  -  alive,
with at least a glint of hope.
At the time of all this, the
Studio School was in the
midst of moving itself from
the large loft space at Broadway
and Bleecker over to the new
place at 8w8th street. So I got
involved with that a bit  - the
usual schlep stuff, carry and
drag this or that; there was
plenty to do. This first month
or so, I had nothing  - I stayed
in the park the first few nights.
All that hippie-stuff was very
congenial in Tompkins Square,
and the park allowed sleeping.
It still happens, Summer groups
of traveling kids just crashing
in the grassy knoll over at the
park's center. I got there my
first night, and the Puerto Rican
guys at the bandshell were
rolling heavy with their live
jam music. One of the few things
I had moved with was my nice
set of bongo drums! I jumped
right in with these guys and
played. It was all good jam.
-
The first exposures to lower
Broadway that I had were
massive and impressive. Never
before had I faced the real power
of what Mankind, or Humankind,
had done or could do. Rows of
tall buildings, glass and steel
and concrete, the raw power
of trucks and vehicles, the snort
and snarl of the street traffic,
raging power-morons intent
on getting themselves somewhere
no matter where, or what. It
was all thrust at me, firsthand
and in my face. For a dumb kid
from Avenel, and a coddled
seminary colt from Blackwood
too, this was shock and awe  -
way before that crazy concept
had ever been constructed.
I immediately had to put words
aside, for there were none to
describe the onslaught, nor to
describe an inkling of what I
was undergoing. I learned,
immediately, any number of
things that I had simply not
thought of before. A person
has needs  -  one must eat,
there need to be bathrooms
and 'comfort' stations, as it
were. Once I found out where
those amenities were, once it
was better mapped out in my
brain, it was much easier  - but,
at first, uh oh mama. Food was
cheap, in the sense that, as I
found out, 25 cents could get
you something to feel more
full with  -  even if just a
'knish' (what the hell is this?
was my first inkling. A potato
pillow?). Be that as it may, I
also quickly found sources for
free food, restaurant cast-offs,
even dumpster stuff. There's
plenty to eat, if you get over
the heebie-jeebies about it.
Reading back over all these
other chapters here, should
you have the mind, tenor, or
time and inclination to do so,
will fill you in on a lot of that
stuff and me  -  people, places,
and habits. I survived real well.
-
My main concern was to start
and to keep learning. That was
the true impetus of what I intended
and why I'd arrived. There were
myriad version all around me of
things to absorb  - experiences,
lessons, knowledge, books and
ledgers, history, art, vast stores
of libraries and gallery info. I
had to learn to take in and give
out. My life was like a miner's
life, each day taking that cart
down deep into the bowels of
it all, in the hopes of hacking
through and digging and then
coming back out with something
worthwhile. Something also
identifiable. Another item of
great note to me : I'd come
into all of this, but be alone, to
work alone, to learn how to
write and observe and write
about what I observed, to make
something of it all, to make Art,
and a hundred other things.
I didn't wish to mingle or
work, necessarily, with others.
I didn't communicate well.
Verbal interaction always out
me off, and I really didn't
with many others the concepts
they lived by. The problem
became, I learned quickly,
that these artist types liked to
gab and schmooze and linger,
trading ideas and concepts,
and generally just blabbing
on as they drank and laughed
and loved. A lot of that was
really alienating to me. They
were always switching partners
around, no one seemed to think
twice about screwing whoever
was right there next to them.
(Maybe think Steve Sills, and
that goofy California ethos,
'If you can't be with the one
you love, then love the one
you're with'). Yeah, there was
a lot of that going around too.
-
Solitude and perseverance?
I learned there was a saying in
the art world completely opposite
to my thinking  -  it was about
the sense of common collegiality,
trading off ideas with others,
exploring by explaining and all
that. Bummer. It went, "A man
sharpens his face on the face of
his friends." That was very
striking to me, as a phrase (I
did later find out it actually
comes from somewhere in
the Old Testament. A lot of
that art world stuff was very
old-line Jewish, surprisingly).
Like I said a chapter or two
back, I had to put categories
and judgments aside. It was a
necessity in order to get by.
At 22nd street and Seventh
Ave., there was a Belgian bar.
(I always liked Belgian bars;
they were exciting and the
Belgian babes they used as
bar-keeps were always so
intriguing. The Old Town
Tavern, to this day, does the
same thing, and with all sorts
of Belgian beers on tap).
Anyway, Belgian bar guys,
the real ones, are/were very
pugnacious and pointed about
what they do. For instance,
tradition calls it that they go
out on Saturday night and get
drunk, and then they all start
hitting each other. One time,
a guy walked out of the bar,
and went straight up to, like,
the first person (male) he saw,
and just began pounding on the
guy. Big-time hits. Just a real
blast. A good way to get your
kicks, I guess. Back in Avenel,
the only'alcohol' influenced
place I'd ever really experienced,
not going inside  -  I mean the
outside, and this was all before
today's junk-rub-culture of
franchised theme bars and 
all that highway crap  -  was
the Roxbury. It was a closed
bunker of a place with thin
windows up pretty high. My
goofy friend used to stand on
the bench out front and, getting
up to the high windows by that,
and yell in, loudly, 'Repent!'
Then we'd run off. Yeah, I
guess it's about the same thing
as those Belgian brawlers.
My friend? He blew his mind
out in a car; he didn't notice
that the light had changed....'








No comments: