Saturday, March 16, 2019

11,611. RUDIMENTS pt. 625

RUDIMENTS, pt. 625
(wasn't even funny....)
One funny thing I noticed  -  
not funny, I guess I just 
mean that it stood out  -
was how stratified things 
were. This was 1967, mind 
you, and maybe things still 
are (stratified). BUT, my 
essential point here, of 
differentiation, based on
experience, is as follows:
-
In 1967, there was a complete
class of people who have now
disappeared. I refer to that
which was then called 'Puerto
Ricans.' I know that things
have changed greatly, and that
all through the immigration
classes of New York City varied
groups have entered, set themselves
apart, mingled and served these
roles. At one, earlier, level, it was
Irish, then Germans, the blacks,
and later the smaller ethnic groups,
as they entered, Italians, Poles and
Czechs, and of course the ever
present Chinese. Sometime since
'67, however, all of those people
who used to man the underclass
of service industries, in NYC,
as waiters, busboys, cooks,
laundry, hotel, chambermaids,
cleaners, hospital maintenance
staffs, etc., were once made up
of New York's Puerto Ricans.
And they were everywhere, and
in 1967, at every turn, I ran across
them. East 11th Street was a complete
neighborhood strip of that culture  -
-  vibrant, weird, and brash, in only
a NYC way. The blocks all around
had that flavor. Serving. Cleaning,
etc. That's all over now  -  newer
waves have take all those jobs, or
at least it seems to me. Mexicans.
Asians of all sorts, India, Pakistan,
and  -  countless variations  -  the
Africans who come direct, from
Lagos, Nigeria, and Ghana, and,
for all I know, Burundi! The
switch-over has been total, and
I often just wonder if it was
assimilation, economic gain,
or whatever else it may have
been, that did that. What
brought me to this was the
writing of the NY lumberyards,
which once  -  as I noted  -  had
secondary-level workers who 
were Puerto Ricans. They once 
seemed to staff New York, and 
now don't. That's how greatly
things overall have changed, to
the extent that these newer classes
don't even get called out now or
derogatorily nick-named, as it
all used to be. Prevailing habits
of language either reflect or lead
this, but I never fully know. I
just know that between my entry
time of 1967, and  - whatever
this is, 50-55 years later or more,
I live in an altered world. Totally.
-
There was a time when it was 
considered almost sinful to exist
in an altered state, or even to
consider altering it. Now the
means for that, at that level, 
are nearly handed out freely,
dispensed with a blessing, and
probably easily prescribed.
When I first arrived to New
York I had only the vaguest
of ideas on certain topics.
For instance, sensuality very
sexuality. Someone once
pointed out to me that 'She's
not sexual, rather she's very
sensual.' That stopped me short,
in that it seemed a distinction
I'd never considered or which,
at my level, had never represented
itself to me. In fact, I'd never
even heard of 'sensual' except
maybe in the context of massage.
hot oils. Wax. Whatever the 
heck that was all about when
anyone mentioned it. I still
don't know the difference, 
I'd have to say.
-
I've taken a lot of steps along
the way to back up things I say. 
Sometimes it's not really worth 
it. I found this: 'Statistics show
that in 1948 there were eight 
million New Yorkers in five
boroughs; among them, two
million Jews, nine hundred
thousand Russians, half a 
million Irish, half a million
Germans, four hundred thousand
Poles, more than two hundred
thousand Puerto Ricans, and 
one hundred fifty thousand
Britons. The remainder were
immigrants in smaller groupings,
including native-born Americans.
On the lower east-side, shops and
delis featured Hebrew lettering,
and Israeli flags. In little Italy,
along the southern border of
Greenwich Village, signs, books,
etc., were in Italian dialect and 
life was lived much as it was
an ocean away in Naples or
Palermo and Rome; and in
Chinatown, the world apart
was ringed by the elevated
rails that converged at Chatham
Square. Syrians lived along
Greenwich Street; along
Eight Avenue in Chelsea, 
Greeks predominated...' I'd
have to say, except for the
numbers it was probably still
like that in 1967. Many of
the Syrians were displaced
from the 'Electronics District,'
by the construction of the
Twin Towers, and, as well, 
many of the Puerto Ricans 
were driven way uptown as
their blocks of neighborhoods
along what was called 'San
Juan Hill,' was removed for
Lincoln Center. So, my feelings
seemed correct, but the varied
numbers belie the change. I
guess, and what matter?
-
I just grew up differently. I can't
say Avenel was 'segregated' per
se, or by edict, but there was a
prevalence of whiteness everywhere,
only slightly touched by ethnicity,
which ran a distant second to the
plain old category of 'white.' I
ran across but a few black kids
all growing up days, and, in the
same vein, the seminary was
'white'  -  except for one or two
black priests or brothers they'd
send our way. Who were mostly
as white as could be anyway.
My biggest shock, the most
engaging thing I'd ever 
experienced, was in the
seminary, and with the black
priest  -  driving the '63 Ford
or whatever it was they gave 
him. I was one of the kids on
the medical-call thing they 
had, for the few emergencies 
that occurred  -  toothaches,
broken fingers or arms, the
usual sports injury crap. If
any special of quick medical
attention was needed, we'd 
get the sick or wounded guy
and drive with him to some 
place in Camden where the
certain doctors and stuff were.
And we also did the same 
sometimes to the junk and
metal salvage yards, when
we'd get a truckful from some 
clean-up or building takedown.
These trips would bring me
through the most jaw-gaping
Camden poverty  -  any poverty  -
I'd ever seen. And it was almost
shocking, at least heart-rending.
We'd pass row houses, ghettos
of them, with people on their
rickety stoops and porches,
just staring out, almost as if
dumb-founded by the world
passing by them. It was a long,
low, and quiet sight; one I'd
never seen and took all in. I've
been back a few times since, 50 
years later, again, of course, and
though a lot of this is gone  -  
mainly because the places have
crumbled away or burned, much,
yes, much of it still remains. The
grave of Walt Whitman is there,
in one such situation  -  the most
lethal and dire poverty must be
crossed to get to the, rather by
contrast, bucolic, old graveyard.
But it still shocks and is still an
eye-opener. As far as real poverty
goes, this 'ain't sexy at all.'
-
I think back now and wonder if
the black priest guy driving was
maybe given that job as a safety
factor? Sure beats having some
lily-white trolling a neighborhood
like any of those. I was never
much a fan of getting hauled
out of a car and roughed over.
Forget sexy, that wasn't
even 'sensual.'







No comments: