Monday, March 25, 2019

11,636. RUDIMENTS, pt. 635

RUDIMENTS, pt. 635
(not a notion; not an ocean)
You know how people sometimes
say 'Oh just do it this once, it won't
bother you at all'? Well, whenever
I heard that, or anything like it,
it just reminded me of being a
kid again, in my basement, with
those Lionel trains my father
always had set up. They were
actually pretty boring to me, at
all times, but I had to go along
with whatever the supposed
sporting pleasure of them was
supposed to be. For the sake
of family. Or my Father anyway.
It was always a big deal to him
that we had, or were meant to
sense we had, the best, largest
and most finely-appointed
train set-up on the block. Of
course we didn't, or maybe we
did, but how were we supposed
to know or care anyway? He was
way achievement-oriented in
things like that  -  but what
could you possibly do in taking
pleasure from a collection of
trains? Of course, they were the
full-size Lionel best; O-gauge or
whatever. The smaller ones were
HO or something, and he hated
them. Inferior in all respects, and
not worth his pride. Oddly enough,
I knew one or two people who
mixed the two, interweaving the
two systems, tracks and transformers,
and I thought that was way more
interesting and skillful. The deal
was that the train and hobby shops
had all these little plastic towns
and depots and model things, grass,
trees, cows, lights, fences, pretty
much whatever you wanted. The
idea, at its end, was that whoever
had the most money (as in anything
else) would have the best and biggest.
That was all there was to it, and the
rest was bunk. I never cared either
way; was bored stiff, and even hated
it. We'd have to wear (my sister and
me) these engineer hats, stand at
this rather large transformer, and
run these trains along their tracks
as they passed over and under
themselves, beneath fake bridges
and tunnels, and through weavy
little plastic towns, with gas stations
and little cars and little people. He
had this one deal where a white
pill would get dropped into the
smokestack of the engine, and in
a few minutes the thing would begin
puffing out a white smoke. Oooh!
I wanted black smoke; I was always
digging pollution and crud. This
went on for about four years, he
kept enlarging the deal, bigger
towns and distances on right
angle plywood boards making
the layout. To him it all was a
big hoot. For me, bored as stiff,
I got more interested, through
this, in architecture and town
planning actually. And also in
observing the grade crossings and
noting how easy it was for 1950's
plastic people to get run-over
by oncoming trains. Hey? Wait?
That was me? (Yeah, I got hit
by a real train when I was 8.
Footnote. Asterisk. Cut to chase.
I eventually recovered, and lived
on, vividly.)... So, to those who
knew I hated all this, to be told
to 'just go ahead and do it, your
father likes you there,' it was
already fodder enough for any
session with a shrink.
Dad-wise or not.
-
Eventually, no one showed any
interest, my father dismantled
the whole shebang  -  I only
vaguely  remember any of this 
-  stored it all away, and turned
his train area into, instead, an
upholstery work area for his
many side jobs redoing people's
chairs. Years later, maybe 12
or 14 years, when I was in
Pennsylvania, living there with
my wife and a young son, he
thought it was time to bring
it all there, and reintroduce it
all to my son. So, one day he
trucked it up, boards and all
the trimmings, in a small trailer.
It was like a visitor, arriving, and
with a bagful of your bad dreams
from long ago, then wanting
to be thanked for doing so.
Not knowing what to do (but
still having no interest in it
at all. I was a crummy Dad),
We took it in, into one of the
outbuildings that I had around
the barn area. Lo and behold,
eventually even all that dismantled
train-layout stuff got in my way
and I eventually dragged it
outside and just propped it up
at the rear of the building. That
was fine, until, months later,
my father came up again, on
another visit, and found all this
weathered crap, exposed and
outside. That wasn't very cool
on my part, but I'd forgotten all
about it. He went pretty nutso
over my apparent negligence
(got that right, I suppose) and
non-caring for what he'd given
us. To boot, I had given the
actual trains away  -  to a
friend from Avenel, who'd
visited. That was one step too
much for Dad. I was told later
that he, once back in Avenel,
went steaming over to this
guy's house (he was still living
there, on Inman, in his boyhood
home) and made a scene,
demanding everything back
because I was a fool for giving
it away. My poor chum friend,
scolded and confused, turned it
all over, back to Dad. I don't
know where it ever ended up.
-
Pretty typical though, of the
sorts of things I'd always get
messed up into. My life was
mostly one of these types of
disasters after another, all
because I really never pushed
back. And this was late in the
game for me, near 30's, a
young father, having already
done the train wreck in real
life, the seminary years, all
that bizarre NY stuff, and then
the Pennsylvania and Elmira
routine. I was toast; torched
and crispy, and all this junk
kept coming back to haunt me;
as if that big, ugly elephant
tied to my back and which I
had constantly to haul around,
had grown its grafted bones
right into my own and I was
fated for life to carry that
weight, like the song said.
-
If there was any continuity to
life, I'd missed it. I was staring
at a big black hole, not knowing
if I was supposed to start walking
through it or being sure to avoid
it. The more I became sure of
what I was seeing, the more I
was certain I wanted none of it;
ordinary life and values and
reasons  -  all those false dead
ends and the dichotomies  -  
False? Contradictory? Unreal? -
the point of fracture over which
ordinary mental life gets stretched
so you can make money, have a
career, switch and scrounge on
the backs of others for your own
private gain. How did people ever
get started doing that stuff?
Sometimes a few of us (this now is
is back in NYC again) would be
sitting around somewhere, and
the conversation would turn, yet
again, to the negative aspects of
the crap-world around us, ending
up often at the level of 'why can
we not reconstitute the system so
as to remove most of these people,
just get rid of them, break down the
system, and start some sort of new
society of barter and smallness?'
Really, we'd have the long give and
takes over it all. As artist-aspirants,
what the heck did we have to lose and
who cared anyway? You make shoes.
I need new shoes. I make paintings.
We trade. 'SURE!!' (I could hear it now...
'My shoes  -  worth maybe 40 dollars.
I need 12 of your [stupid] paintings
to make 40 dollars, OK?'). You can
see the dead-end value here, as we
always kept it somehow in our favor
and in the programming of ONE
item for ONE item. That doesn't work.
To make bread, (to trade), you need
flour, and an oven. Get started.
It all reminded my, always, of an 
old rabbinical joke I'd had told to
me  -  these scientists are all full
of themselves, talking about how
they'd securely achieved everything
necessary for making life, for 
creating Mankind from nothing. The
story goes on, they're telling all
this to a Rabbi, or to God, or
something, and they're then
challenged to 'OK, go ahead, make
a human.' So they ask for a clod of
dirt. God, or the Rabbi, (I forget
the exact telling) raises a hand and
says, 'Ah Ha! No! Make your own
dirt!' Oh well, it was funny when
I heard it.









No comments: