Sunday, March 24, 2019

11,633. RUDIMENTS, pt. 634

RUDIMENTS, pt. 634
('but neither did I ever ask...')
I was always something of
a floor rat  -  even in the
Studio School, where I
finally got hooked up
getting 16 bucks a week
(where that number came
from I cannot recall),
staying there, sleeping
there, sort of just as a
night presence, and a bit
of a main desk person on
various evenings. People
coming and going, shows,
small talks and lectures, etc.
There was, down a floor, at
the ground-level of the rear
yard court (this was an old
collection remember, of
brownstones from a hundred
years back, wherein wealthy
people had lived, and their
open-doorways to the private
courtyards and all that was
important), into which you'd
sort of descend and sit in as
royalty; using your imagination
of course.  The Studio School,
in this present day, has closed
that access off, the glass-doors
which had opened out, etc., and
just put at that area a wall for
their art-gallery exhibit room.
You'd never even know it had
been there now. Anyway, for me
it came with its own little kitchen
area, and a bathroom, an actual
sort of place to be, mini apartment,
and the entire basement too. I
loved it, right off, and that made
all the difference in the world,
There was a non-working fireplace,
and that I took some plywood
too and straddled it into a bed,
with some blankets and stuff,
if I wanted it. To be truthful,
I didn't use it that often  -  as
most of the nights, up in the
higher floors, I'd just stretch
out on the library floor, and read
until I was out. It was carpeted,
a bit, three long stories up, had
access from two directions, one
being an eerie and isolated
interior stairwell that twisted
and stretched ( I loved that),
and  -  it being Eighth Street  -
there were, all night long, all
the sorts of echoey, busy street
noises you'd hear at all hours.
I could look down, as I wished,
from a few perches too. Really
neat. To the rear of the large
room (lined with books and
chairs, and used too for a
lot of the lectures) was the
opening, glass-doors too, for
the southern exposure rooftop
vista of the other, surrounding
buildings and rooftops, and then
the rest of the city, south. Very
Parisian, let's say. It truly was
a world apart, like nothing I'd
ever before experienced, and
it bore not a one of the lame
characteristics of the town I'd
come from  -  in fact, one
wouldn't even recognize the
other in its existence.
-
It's been said that this had been
the Vanderbilt/Whitney mansion,
or one of them, and then had been
the Whitney Museum, back in the
day when American Art was first
getting its airing. There were all
sorts of evidences around of the
different things that, I guess, had
gone on in the previous 150 years,
but I never took real stock of that
part of it  -  grand staircase, some
weird 1920's, it appeared to be,
Americana wallpaper all up that
staircase, and then the grand, white
rooms of the living quarters  - 
meaning the ornate dining areas,
the ballroom, the library, etc., etc.
Plenty of other rooms, and the
connecting space between and to
each, were, I assumed, family
bedrooms and servant rooms or
whatever  -  all that space, of any
sort, was used for art-studio
purposes and those rooms ranged
from small (though not tiny) to
broad and expansive too. There
were one or two spots where the
meager plumbing made bathrooms
and kitchen space stuff, sinks, etc.
We never really utilized any of
that  -  except for the bathrooms
that were in use. Truly, one could
get lost in the place  -  a warren of
three, interconnected, buildings
re-sized as one, large, place. As I
said, I was never privy to any
original floor maps or layouts of
8W8th when it was a Vanderbilt or
Whitney place, or however those
marriages went. You may read
of how stately and rich and
expensive it all was, but, really,
I never saw anything of that. The
personal and school use made of
the place during the era I was there
bore nothing of those earmarks.
It was utility, strictly, and perhaps
even treated dishonorably.
-
You need a head for all that stuff,
and I never had it. There were a
few rich kids around, upper east
side and Connecticut breeding, and
they surely viewed it all with and
through a completely different lens
from the sorts of scruff-balls that
me and my ilk represented. Just
low-down art kids, often scrounging.
All we ever did was make sure the
windows were closed (that first '67
Winter, into '68, was a really cold and
long one). Ice and snow, for days,
would be everywhere, and all I
can still remember are the 8 degree
mornings and piles of ice and muck
that seemed to last forever. New
York City in the deep cold is
something to be experienced; it's
almost sad. Nothing much moves,
everything is slow and solid, people
start dying, smokestack smoke goes
sideways instead of up, or it seems
that way anyhow. Taxis honk, but
the sound goes nowhere, it just sort
of shreds and stays around. There's
a quiet thud to everything, businesses,
back then anyway, the old manufacturing
places and looms and lofts, garment
areas, and all the rest, seemed to
merely stay in place; getting things
done, but at a crawl. The world is way
different : cold, dicey, endless.
-
About 7am each morning, weekdays
anyway, the day-maintenance guy,
Mr. Rush, would show up. I'd often
hear him, unlocking doors or shuffling
around, and that would get me up,
but on those days when it didn't,
he'd eventually get around to where I
was and get me up. He was about 50,
a small, black guy who lived up in
Harlem somewhere and took the
subway down and back each day.
And he dressed up each too too.
There was nothing arty about him,
or anything like that; he was just a
regular guy with a good-enough day
job to keep it all going. We got on well
He did the usual things; like emptying
trash cans, upkeep, simple maintenance,
mopping, keeping the entrances clear
of snow and whatever else, access and
egress, and all that stuff, leaving
about 6pm each day, at the latest.
Quiet, soft, and unassuming, he
was just a real pleasant guy.
-
New York City, back then anyway,
turned over to a different code and
pace at evening; once it was dark
all the time. Activity sort of switched
over to the realm of those who lived
there. Outsiders of the day were gone,
home to wherever it may have been,
and the streets took on a glitter and
a reflection of their own, as of a
happiness. Even I was happy then
to be there; it was like privilege, a
higher notch, a better place, somehow,
to dwell.  The reality of it all was
probably very different, and I was
just being a romantic jerk, striving
by my own exotic trends to get
somewhere I wanted to be. But,
that's how it appeared to me, and
I played it off that way. Manhattan
was all charm and art and learning
and glamour. All good things, piled.
-
Down below me, there was, off
to one side of the last edge of the
building, an American Youth Hostel.
I never knew whose it was, from
whom they rented, etc. but it seemed
to have nothing to do with us, at the
Studio School, though it could perhaps
have been sad to be sharing a part
of our last building  -  all connected
as one so you couldn't tell anyway.
It was like a travel depot for all
sorts of Euros  -  mostly Teutonic,
Swiss, or Northern European types.
to my eyes anyway. Kids off for 
a year, from college, to tour, see
American, hike the trails, see the
places, cities and sights. It was
like a pit-stop for them along the
way. There were some bicyclist
types, lots of outdoorsy, hiker
sorts, inquisitive intellectuals,
students of this or that. They'd eat,
hang around, flirt, talk, mingle,
and then be gone; moving on, to
whatever else they'd be doing. I
was always in awe; they were all
tall, blondish, big, strong, and
seemingly tough and rugged.
The girls were sometimes enough
to make you have to catch your
breath. I didn't know how they 
all managed to survive without
either marrying each other or
having vast orgies. It was like
that. A totally different and
new experience for me to see,
viewing it as I was, almost,
cinematically. (Here I go with
movies again). Curiously enough,
they never seemed interested at
all in art, or us, or what we were
doing right next door. That always
confused me too, figuring that,
all of us about the same age, give 
or take, there'd easily be some 
crossover. But I never saw any.
Not even Tomberg ever bedded
one of those girls.
-
It sure was a different world, 
back then. I often now have to 
look at a calendar and even start
counting my fingers to get it straight
how many years have elapsed.(Not
really). Fifty years, plus, in the blink
of an eye. That's painful stuff for,
homesick and sorrowful and lost
in this gloom, in this world. These
Euro kids, they smoked like fires,
drank a lot, like it was water,
lounged about their sitting areas,
and always seemed wise and
active and onto something. I was
unable to imagine what we must
have looked like to them. To me,
it all would have seemed like going
somewhere without knowing fully
where you were going, and, at the
same time, leaving the better things 
behind as you went to some lesser
place. To see, what? Trails to hike?
Buttes and mesas? Rocks, rivers, and 
valleys? I couldn't understand it, for, 
first, America was too vast to all be 
taken in in that fashion. And I'd already
had enough of hearing about all those 
hippie kids running off to Tibet and 
Nepal and and India for their own
'enlightenments.' Then, too, this was 
different; it seemed too privileged,
too much undertaken in that 'travel
for the sake of travel' fashion. Our 
two countries had brought up two
complete and different rafts of
children, and here they were. In
their Euro-heads were war dreams
and bombs and ruination. It made
me shudder. And then they came
here, to partake  -  to partake of
what, I wasn't sure. What did we
offer them? Scenic vistas? 
Mountains and waterfalls? They 
wouldn't need that stuff, for sure.
Did we look like old Beats to them?
Veteran war-fighters? The land
which had saved them, after
first destroying them too? What
were we to them? Did we still look
like the land of Lewis and Clarke?
Uncharted, and which they then
could map out, from east to west, at
will? Did we look like airheads and
hippies? Sarcasm and sloppiness?
Cast-offs with not a care in the
world? I could never tell. But 
neither did I ever ask.








No comments: