Sunday, March 3, 2019

11,585. RUDIMENTS, pt. 613

RUDIMENTS, pt. 613
(oh olga, do that again)
One time I was walking along
57th street, across from Lee's
Art Supply, and, with the Art
Student's League to my right,
I noticed a Russian lady outside
there, in her painting smock or
apron, whatever, smoking a
cigarette and staring at me. She
was maybe 45 or 50, I'd guess.
It was apparent she was Russian,
at least to me, all those telltale
signs  -  none of it bothersome 
or anything, just apparent. She
called me over and squarely
said, 'You going in here?'
I said, no I wasn't. She said,
'Yes, yes you are; come with 
me. I'll show you studio, and
workplace; you can see my 
work. I'm just out here, taking
a break.' So, I won't say she
dragged me in, but I followed;
and she then turned and just said -
'Over there, tell them you're here
to see Olga, and get the pass
they give you. Don't lose it.
Then go through that door and
over to 319. I'll be there.' Of
course it was peculiar, and I
was perplexed  -  had I actually
been rushed or on my way
somewhere I'd have also been
annoyed. But, as it was, I was
aimlessly useless (as usual)
so I followed the script  -  
thinking that the skit might
be fun. I'd been in a few of
these sorts of situations before,
even the one with that Negro
gentleman high-toned guy
I've written about way back
here  -  he bought me lunch
and then expected his own
payback. Unfortunately.
(For him). This lady offered
more of the same  - I immediately
sensed she was not doing this
for the first time. I entered.
It was a large enough room,
with easels, storage racks,
a little stage thing for models
to sit or pose upon and 4 or 5
other women busy at work on
their paintings. I went up to one 
and said, 'Where's Olga? Do
you know?' She said 'No,' and
pointed me towards the corner
and said, 'Wait there, that's her
spot, she'll be here.' And then
some other lady piped up. 'You
too! Not another! She does this
all the time. She'll go outside
to smoke and comes back in
with some passing guy  -  she's
going to talk your ear off! She's
harmless. She's funny!' I was
their pet joke, right off. And then,
here comes Olga; who'd evidently
been primping. 'Olga, not again!
Oh, you're so funny!' She stayed
cool, even smiling, 'Oh be quiet.
It's all in good fun  -  (turning to
me) they always make fun of me
for what I do. Sit. Sit. I want to
show you my work. You like 
painting?' I wanted to play
dumb, actually, but didn't. I
said I'd gone to the Studio
School downtown, way back 
when. She was flabbergasted,
as if I'd just mentioned my years
at Yale to a 3rd grader. 'Oh my 
God, what that must have been
like! Tell me so! How grand!'
Then she went on about some
artist I'd never heard of, the one
she's working with as her mentor.
Instructor. Critic. He comes in
once or twice a week, and they
go over the work  -  'all the 
women here have him, in this
room, as their instructor, so
we can all work together some.'
Then she began unrolling some
canvases, loose, and pulling
others, on stretcher bars, out 
of the racks.I was almost afraid 
to look, fearing for a moment
that I'd be seeing each of these
ladies painted as nudes or 
something. (There was a movie
in the 60's, or maybe 70's, called
'What Do You Say To a Naked
Lady.' Some horrible hippie film).
Anyway, this was all, these each
turned out to be, colors and forms,
a few table-tops and vases and
things. (Amazing what Russian
ladies can do with apples, let 
alone bananas). By this time,
a few of the other ladies had 
crowded around the benches and
table, chattering and commenting
about each piece, remembering
this or that moment that they
were reminded of by each new
viewing. I hardly got a word
in. Probably just as well. And
then another lady had brought 
tea over, cups and the whole bit,
like a samovar thing or something,
and tea was served. More sitting
around  -  people coming and 
going. (I was still tightly clutching
my pass). I heard once or twice, a
'Who is that?' type comment. As
bad as it at first appeared, the 
next half-hour went OK. They 
explained to me how they rent, 
and renew their painting spaces,
how each one comes with its
own storage rack and work area,
communal space; how they can
come and go at will, construct
their own schedules and work
times, and how free and liberating
it all had made them feel. And 
then I said I had to go, yes, 
really, thank you, etc. The
lady who had brought me in
even gave me a card with her
name and telephone on it. I 
made my way out, returning 
my pass card, and was then
allowed entry, as well, to the
little 'student gallery' they
ran  - which the Russian lady
Olga had told me to be sure
to visit on the way out, and 
look for her work. To tell 
you the truth, I didn't really 
look. Oh, Olga.
-
The Art Students League is
actually, I think, a landmarked
building  -  quite stately, and old.
I'd been there before, in my Studio
School days, when I was accepted
to be a 'student' there too, though
I never went, having selected the
Studio School and keeping it at
that. In 1968, the entire world
was different, as was this portion 
of w57th street. I was hardly
able to recall, but I dimly
remembered the great awe I 
always felt passing here, and
the one or two times I'd gone 
in. Much different than this
visit  -  back then there were 
no pass cards, and no real and
official front desk either -  just 
hippie kids and serious art types,
all young. None of these hobbyist
sorts of Russian ladies, that I
remembered. The big draw 
back then was Romare Beardon,
who, as I recall, was a steady
presence there and an instructor
as well. Things do change.
-
Funny, Beardon, after I studied
him a bit (he's resurgent right now
too) was what was then considered,
stupidly enough, a 'Black' artist;
a Harlem concern, collagist, etc.,
portraying  black folklore and
extended black-family legacy
items. At that time I glossed right
over it. It seemed almost trite and
inconsequential to me. In 1967 my
idea was Art with the fiery, capital
A of all-that-was meaning the
history of the art world and its 
movements TO something.
Beardon seemed a large step 
backwards into and outside of
'real art' sidestep to craft and
sentiment. Collage. Then, about
1999, I began working with a black
woman artist who had connections
with the Newark Museum, which
had a substantial Beardon 
representation with its 'curated' 
art collection. I studied it some, 
and changed my mind on all of 
that  within the broader focus of 
Harlem art and the old Harlem 
Renaissance legacy. In her
own, not-so-delicate way,
Olga had reawakened all
that for me.








No comments: