Saturday, March 2, 2019

11,578. RUDIMENTS, pt. 611

RUDIMENTS, pt. 611
(I'd rather starve)
The only diet I ever had was
poverty. It concentrates the
mind. I'm not sure what
people do any more, but
back then you'd still see a
lot, or enough, of working
people with their little brown
bags of lunch. Nowadays
I see portly construction
worker guys with wheeled
suitcases of lunch. Outside
Grace Church, on a Summer
day not so long back, there
was a long row of some 15
construction guys, mostly
all Hispanic or Mexican
these days, all gorging on
the contents of plastic take
out flip trays loaded with
tons of food. Probably an
18 dollar NYC lunch, I'd
guess. I'm still amazed
how people do it. I skip
all that and just do without
eating anything until the
usual nightfall meal, once
a day. It's so long engrained
in my system that I don't
even think about it. But,
anyway, back in the real
days of subsistence, I got
by on 25 cent corn muffns
and 10 cent coffee. A 35
cent knish was like eating
at the Ritz. There used to be
a knish place on 8th Street,
not too far from the Studio
School. And then one day
I realized they throw some
of that stuff out at night;
still usable, and good, in
my book. I beat the freshness
date by beating the freshness
date!
-
Just the same way I used to wonder
'What is hunger?' I wondered too
What is pain? And why?' Those
were some of the telegraphic
moments of life that I could
never figure out. I'd see lots of
pain on the streets  - people in
pain, grimacing, sores, twisted
legs, breathing problems, and
the associated filth and grime
that went with the habits of the
booze and cigarettes. Thunderbird
liquor; Night Train Express. And
these crazy you-know-whats would
be in suits and ties, like they had
not changed since 1948. It was
fairly incredible how I could read
the pain in their faces by the
freeze-time of their clothing.
I guess 'pain' is meant to be a
symbol of something, otherwise 
why would it have been built
into our systems? Is it to be
telling us something? Something
we don't already know? Pain
is, then, a means of bringing
an aberration to our attention?
That seems pretty odd. Like in
the Lord's Prayer, where it says
'Thy will be done.' I never got 
that  -  nor, I'm sure, would any
of those pure schmucks sucking
it up around the 12th street fire
barrel. If the idea is that 'God's
will' be done, than where's the
truthfulness to all that other
stuff that says God made us and
gave us 'Free Will' so that the
determination of our own
Salvation is up to us, or not.
There is no plan; free will is 
what makes us human. Excuse 
me? I thought someone just
asked that 'God's will be done.'
In fact, a whole sorry lot of
people, in fact, ask that, daily.
It all sure got confusing and
random for me. I couldn't hardly
take it any more. 
-
The men around the fire-barrels,
in the late chills of Autumn  -
man, they were a sorry bunch.
Half of them were dead by
Winter's end, I'm sure, and the
other half, in March, would
come stumbling out of their
shelters and Bowery homeless
hotels, blinking at the daylight
-  like a kid coming out of a
movie after three hours in
the dark. It used to be called
a stupor, but now, like so
many other things, it's a
situation and a word that's
 just fallen out of use and
no one even knows what
is meant by it. This grime
infested kingdom of snark
now is run by talented geeks :
they get around a lot of
things simply by avoidance.
-
There's a cemetery over at
1st Street, actually it's First
and 1st. The Avenue and the
street converge there. Pretty
weird. It's locked and under
key, and there's some funeral
home from the old days there
too, with its entrance on the
avenue. Some old Italian name,
from when they claimed the
area. That's all gone now.
Anyway, Allen Ginsberg used
to have an apartment there,
and it looked out over this.
The cemetery's real early-NY
old, and right at the street
entry (1st street) the a couple
of graves of the Fish family.
The Fish name was a big deal
in the early days of NYC, and
even late into the 1970's there
was, and maybe still is, some
Hamilton Fish, Jr. guy in local
metropolitan politics. Anyway,
the big entryway memorial grave
and stone, like the first thing you
see, is of a guy named 'Preserved'
Fish. (That's pronounced old-style, 
with the heavy emphasis on the
ED; in a sort of old Englush 
fashion). That name cracks me
up each time I see it; such an
intriguing name (and I guess,
yeah, he's embalmed?).
-
A lot of funny things have
happened to me over the
course of a life. They were
always unique  -  some were
simple, and some complex;
not that I ever judged or made
any approach to them in that
manner. I just usually went
along and let things run their
course  -  maybe a lazy man's
way of doing things, but then,
if so, that's what I was. And,
heck, besides, I never really
cared. One time, back abut 1990
maybe, I got a phone call at
work, from a guy I knew at
Edison Harley Davidson, back
when it was still on Route One
down towards the New Brunswick
bridge. He asked if I wanted to
come next Weds. to the New
Brunswick Hilton to see Sean
Landeta? I said sure. It got me
a big, free lunch and some drinks,
and it was all on someone else.
The problem was, who the hell
is Sean Landeta? I just pretended
I'd known, figuring, from a
motorcycle perspective that
he was probably some racer or
motorcycle designer I'd know
about eventually. So I took the
time off from work, and went.
I get there, to a room full of
Dads and young sons, all
active and happy. There was
food everywhere, tables of it  -
I learned the Hilton doesn't
scrimp on such things  -  little
sandwiches, dips, soups, cakes,
all sorts of things. And drinks
too. I wondered, hmmm, who
is this guy? Turned out, he was
a football player, a field goal
kicker, of some note, for the
New York Giants. That explained
immediately the Dads and kids
with shirts and Jerseys, and
helmets, to be signed. I should
have known; two hours of a
football jock going onto a bunch
of kids about his career and
youth and childhood and habits.
Football! Arghh! But, I stayed.
(I asked later what was the deal,
and the guy who called me, and
attended by the way, told me they
get comp'd tickets all the time for
things like this, at the dealership,
and, no matter what, they were
always good for food and beer
anyway). I told him next the
time Victoria's Secret called,
ring me up for that instead.
Joking, of course. 
-
This football guy, whatever his
merits may have been, was a
big bore  -  but at least he could
talk OK and hold a crowd. You 
know how it is with kids  -  really
dumb, easy questions just already
begging for obvious answers, and
the large kid-smile then that the
questioner puts on his face. The
answers were fairly pathetic.
This guy was telling the kids
then (talk about simple!) how
he'd mostly spent his entire
life  -  each day, after school,
all Summer, blah, blah (with
of course a plug thrown in for
staying in school, doing all your
lessons and homework first,
etc.), kicking a football in
simulated field-goal situations,
over and over, ten or twelve
footballs at a time, in a row,
and then traipsing across the
field to kick them all back 
again to the other end. I got
tired, and bored, just listening.
I was thinking, Jeepers, tell the
kids to read the Odyssey, or,
heck, anything, get out of that
rut, find a girlfriend, beat up
your neighbor's dog...anything!
Yes, and now I know you're
probably sitting there saying,
'Hey, he got the 2.8 million
a year for kicking a football
maybe 15 minutes week in
game time, while you're writing
here about being hungry. Idiot.'
And, yeah, I accept, and probably
understand too. But still, I
think I'd rather starve.
-
I have found that there are 
a great number of great men, 
and they all amount to nothing 
at all. The rafters are piled high
with reputations. Some are
'reputed' to have a reputation.
Others are mere repudiation.
-
I have a taste for the discursive,
which means I run on. It's not
directionless, though it may 
seem so, some. It's more 
indirect, a passage through 
some hazardous strait before 
the ship finally comes in.
Pretty simple, I'd say. Not
complicated at all.


No comments: