Monday, March 11, 2019

11,602. RUDIMENTS, pt. 620

RUDIMENTS, pt. 620
(the wake of war)
The wake of war. Looming
presences. Massive individuals.
As I entered the new world of
New York City, I felt as if
wandering through the pages
of the recent past was about
the only way I could best sum
up what I was in the middle
of. The big war, and its now
physical aftermath  -  power,
strength, jobs, steel and
buildings  -  but, and more
importantly, to me, the art
wars. The Art Wars were
always going on of course,
yes, but I had a double-lensed
camera vantage: I could read
and learn all about it some
more, BUT, better, I walked
among  -  and talked and
laughed and nodded  - with
the actual personalities, or
at least those still extant  -
who peopled all the histories
and tales I'd read of. Franz
Kline was dead. Hans Hoffman
was dead. Arshile Gorky was
dead. But they were only still
quite recent losses, and many
of those I was amidst spoke
of them almost as if they were
still there. I well remember
Mercedes Matter often going
on about this or that Franz
Kline episode (they were quite
close) and how she'd usually
end up muttering  -  as she
re-told it  -  'Oh, Franz!'
My own list of elders was
comprised of legends : Philip
Guston, Esteben Vicente,
Philip Pavia, Georgio Spaventa,
David Hare, Milton Resnick,
Morton Feldman  -  and those
are but a few. It was gold.
And, lest I forget to give the
needed and due predominance
to Mercedes Matter, I give it.
When I first met her I guess
she was about 53, born in
1913 I think it was. Younger
than my 1901 grandmother,
yet older than my parents,
in their mid 1920's birthdates.
A curious sequence. Mercedes
Matter turns up everywhere,
in art histories and books of the
prevailing times of the 1930
through the 1950's art turmoil,
New York School Abstract
Expressionist world, all those
formative years and places.
-
I often wondered about the days
of my life, the hows and whys
of my parents, in their age group.
They could have done so much
more, I always felt, or at least
more towards living a life that
wasn't so ordinary. Contemporary
to them  -  and my in-laws too,
(same feelings there)  -  all of
this city-stuff was going on
right around them. The grand
ark-boats of existentialism,
absurdity, art, drama, writing,
performance, darkness, light,
philosophy, learning, ANY
of it could have been theirs to
partake of. They could have
dwelled among the righteous,
in 22nd street lofts, cafes. I
suppose it was all part of my
always feeling so unrepresented
and out of place. I don't know
how any of that happened and I
can't really worry over it because
it's truly representative of nothing.
And there are, of course, two
schools of thought about all
this. One says 'You can't pick
your parents,' (or maybe it's
you DON'T pick them), and
the other (representing a more
spiritual and cosmic view of
things), say that's exactly what
you DO do  -  that your greater
soul, before returning to life,
surveys and selects the situations
and experiences it wishes to
undergo. So, perhaps this
internal conflict was a part of
my metaphorical experiential
DNA by selective choice. I'd
gotten to no real conclusion on
any of that anyway, and it all
seemed beside the point. I'd
been looking, obviously, for
anything which would get me
away from that insipid street
environment of box-houses
in suburban rows with their
horrors of the grocer-stores
 and parking lots down the 
street and the lording over of 
all things by robotic thought 
and that stupid ease of 
convenience which always
ends up running things. 
Not for me.
-
Once I met Mercedes, I was OK,
as if another Mother had come
onto the scene for these next
few acts. Yeah, sounds cruel,
but whatever. Here's where I
took my leave of even James
Joyce with his ideas of
Motherhood being unchanging
and eternal and important to
one's makeup, while discounting
Fatherhood  -  which by his
count has no account and was
just a passing shot of jism that
could have been done by
anyone. (Read his Ulysses;
it's there). For me, quite frankly,
both sides of the parenting thing
were of no real importance. It
was all a mystery-voodoo mashup
anyway. Mercedes Matter arose
then, within all that, and
represented my liberation.
-
I was always at bay. Do you
know that feeling? What it
means? To be at bay has it that
you're somehow holding steady
in the shoals, not quite out (yet)
on the open seas, at bay in a
sheltered cove, an anteroom to
that ocean of experience. That
was my envisioning of it anyway.
A Father? I was conflicted; if I had
a father, It was in Heaven. I never
felt a need for a Mother. The contact
all around was very sparse, worlds
in collision, separate orbits that
never contacted in any case. There
was never any real understanding
of anything. Orphan Annie? I
was Orphan Antic. As soon as I
met Mercedes, I knew I had
broken through, gotten past the
red-clay-muck of things like
Avenel, duties, details and all
that sick reasoning that made
places like that. I was a new
spear-man; a rapier-carrying
killer.
-
Mercedes Matter, with her
husband, and son Alex  -  some
longer weird name attached too.
I guess she'd named him after
some Indian stuff (interesting
name)....lived at MacDougal 
Alley. As nearby as could be.
She'd been famed through the
1940's and 50's, right up the
straits of the art world. Poetic
beauty, model, figure, painter.
When I stood before her it was
all surrender, and whatever 
pretense I may have had 
dissolved right away. In reality,
I had nothing. Nothing but
intent, and she recognized the
Spirit, and said come on in.
And I did, and I was saved.
None of it was ever perfect,
mind you, but this is the one
individual in my life who
answered all things and 
asked nothing back. The
recognition of the innate is
one major factor in what's
facetiously called self-esteem.
She gave that to me, freely.
-
From day one my time was
spent moving forward  -  and
only that. I wanted nothing to
do with my personal past;
all connections and all bets
were off. I don't know how
often that happens to others,
but that's how I went for me.
It was more than some stupid
changing of a name. It was more
than the way people do things.
I have a friend who makes stuff
up whole hog and lives by it,
to spend his time destroying 
others. No tangible factors 
emerge, ever. Those sorts are
cheap and easy  -  they're glib,
and they talk with an iron mask
covering their face. This was not
that at all. This was reality.
-
Willem deKooning or one of those
guys always kept a semi-notorious
photo of Mercedes Matter, nude,
in the sand, on some beach 
somewhere. He kept it propped
at his workspace. Silent and 
without any further reference.
Of course, I didn't know this at the
time, noting of it. It was only later,
in learning the history of that time
and hearing of the things that went
on in the formative years of Ab Ex
art in NYC, did I learn of this and
her role in much of what had 
transpired. To me, at first, she was
just Mercedes, with the same name
as the car ? who had founded the
Studio School and written the long
article about the Art Movement,
which article had started it all for 
me. Eighth Street, here I am! Or
there I was! Whatever. You'd, again,
never know it now; even by 1970 
Eighth Street itself had dissembled 
into the strings of shoe stores and
miscellaneous touristy crap you see
in the worst spots. Right now, it's
just mostly bad vacancies, and
everything representing the
 days of legend and lore is gone. 
Maybe, though, the same thing
is happening, for a someone else, 
right now and there. You needed
to 'know' the history in order to
get the once-was vibe to ride on.
It just was, and it just represented. 
Pollock, de Kooning, Franz Kline,
she knew any and all of those guys,
and they lived on, to me, through 
her. I don't know what the search
for truth and knowledge ever was
for others, but for me it was through
her, those initial, allowed, steps 
granted. It was then, and it is
still now. The 'wake of war' had 
many things going for it  -  that
intense feed of turmoil and angst is
what brought us to the pass we'd
gotten to. That was when things
happened, when there was
NOTHING else.
-
I always wanted to be a sacred
object, an intense and luminous saint,
just by doing what it is I'd do. Not
by achievement or status or money
 or fame. Wealth and riches are just
things to screw you over. All that
counts, in a dark, bleak, world, is 
what you create, what's made
from a thought, a dream, an action.
That old existential rant that 
'existence precedes essence' may
be more right than we think. 
Before us, there is nothing,
individually, except that
which we do to make 
ourselves holy.








No comments: