Wednesday, March 6, 2019

11,591. RUDIMENTS, pt. 615

RUDIMENTS, pt. 615
(no difference between them anyway)
'No one's ever paid me a
damned cent for anything
I've ever done, dammit all.'
The tall guy next to me was
going on. 'And the rest is history, 
right?' told him that, in response.
It was somehow an easy moment,
though I was at first scared by
it. He laughed and then we had
another beer. I liked the 
place, yes, it was comfortable, 
but I wasn't sure I'd come 
back - everything here 
was quite expensive. Like 
that guy from the Rolling 
Stones  - I forget his name,
the guitar player  -  with
that spin-off group of his
that occasionally makes
records. The Ex -Pensive
Winos. I always liked that
name, but the problem with
all those guys always turned
out to be that I could never
tell anyone apart, couldn't
distinguish who they were;
like in this case. One of
those guys recorded under
that name. I was going to
tell the guy next to me that
I'd bet they'd gotten paid,
and well too. But he'd then
probably just want another
beer again, and I was running
out of pocket money, and all
they kept playing here was
raucous, rude Irish music 
anyway, the pounding 
Dropkick-Murphy kind.
-
In my time here, I'd seen
people shop autographs, and
signed-letters too. That always
baffled me, plus the idea that
there were stores and auctions
for things like that. Seventeen
thousand dollars for a personal
note from Franklin Roosevelt
to Edith Schnod or someone.
Or a penciled inscription by
Benjamin Franklin on the
flyleaf of an old book. A
list of turtles, written by
Charles Darwin. Crazy stuff,
for tons of money. For me
to be walking among people
who were mindful of this
material was baffling. It
sometimes seemed as if
three-quarters of the non-
American world was suffering
for its next meal, yet here
we had people willing to
fork over a bundle for
someone's initials. Divide?
There certainly was a great
divide  -  whether it was
mere economics and class,
or something more political
and ruthless, I never knew.
-
One time, when I was working
in Princeton, I made friends with
an old-school 1960's model type.
She was still high-fashion, had
a wonderful, old house, lived
in a great manner, and had a
huge shaggy-maned dog that
she'd walk daily. That's how I
began seeing her, with her
daily dog-walk situation, and
coffee, at the same place. We
eventually just said hi and all
the rest. And then we'd talk a
little, daily. And then (and then,
and then...) her big dog died.
It was a shocker to begin seeing
her daily, with its opposite  - a
little fluff-muff of a white dog.
I asked what had happened, she
said she wasn't sure but within
three days the big dog just died.
She was sad, but she was just as
happy too, to have the new, little
white dog. Anyway (I've omitted
her name), we sat around some
over that Winter and Spring,
and then, in the same way, she
began showing up with an older
guy, and then they went away
to California -  and stayed there.
Her nice house was for sale for
a time, and then someone else
moved in, but still with most of
her furnishings and stuff out
on the porch and in the yard,
so I never knew if it was a 
rental or a sale. I never saw 
Catherine again, but she 
always reminded me of 
someone who'd be intent
enough, and proper and 
well-off,  enough, to collect 
autographs and signatures 
and letters like that. It's
a very specific thing.
-
Life has all its levels and 
the different people that fill 
them all, Mostly they mingle 
OK, or if not mingling, they 
stay together apart in their 
own spaces and categories. 
When the trouble starts is 
when the pressure points 
finally break  -  like in NYC, 
a black-out or a heat-wave 
or some killing or arrest, 
something will suddenly 
break the chains of peace 
and coexistence that stand
side-by-side maintaining 
their tension but in stasis. 
And that's when you suddenly
 have trouble  -  riots, fires, 
looting, even National Guard 
and things. That happened, as 
I recall, one time in the late 
70's, or maybe it was early 
80's. My friends then, the 
three or four that I'd kept 
were somehow all living 
in the same general area
of the west 80's. Over a 
few years they'd switched 
partners, so each was 
living then with each
other's original lover, 
live-in situations abounding. 
I never cared and  -  much 
like those Rolling Stones 
guys  -  never saw much 
difference between any 
of them anyway. There 
was some fighting, or 
one guy was especially 
mopey. But it was OK. 
At bottom, no one cared.
 It was that economic strata 
and I was there  -  it had 
nothing to do with the 
letter and autograph or 
signature collectors. The 
one guy, the moper, he'd 
get all mad whenever 
he'd see, for pity's sake, 
a Burger King  -  and 
he'd start a rant about 
how disgusting Americans 
are  -  it had to be a 'King' 
right; they could name it 
Burger Plebeian, or Burger 
Serf. Everything was 
politics, even gristle, 
grease, and juice. Anyway,
this one morning, we got
up, and there had been rioting
and looting for the past two 
days, cops everywhere, and 
a lot of black people, mad
even about being mad. I
don't remember how or why,
besides out to get coffee, we
began walking through streets
we'd not realized before were
torn and mangled  - riots and
desecration. Large panes of
glass, broken on the street,
the storefronts open and
obviously looted  -  broken
and dropped items everywhere.
It was about a zillion degrees
out, had been for days, the tar
in the street was hot and soft, 
and things had gotten squished 
down into it. It was weird;
bottle caps, pieces of steel,
stones and pebbles, and it was
all still soft too  -  maybe fires
had something to do with it.
My friend had become livid,
blaming somebody at every turn 
for something  -  the government 
for the conditions, the police for
the brutality, and the residents for
their boorishness and ignorance,
and violence and mob-ethos too. 
People were huddled in open
windows, 3 or 4 flights up, looking
down at us, just watching. I had
no idea what we were doing, but
I got fascinated in seeing how
all the apartment places, one 
small building at a time  -  not
with these inhabitants but, maybe
80 years before, the original
inhabitants  -  each building was
named, over its entry doorway, in
stone with names of foreign places.
Like The Bratislava, the Skopje,
the Budapest. I'm working from
memory, and it's long ago  -  but
the eastern Europeans who first
came here had somehow gotten
their buildings named for their own
originations. Sometimes friends and
neighbors in the old country were
friends and neighbors here  -  of
course not on little farms or plots, 
but in hallways and toilets. What
a crazy world, and that world had,
as well, by 1980, degenerated to
anarchy and pathos and violence,
with inhabitants from who knew
where and who knew if they even 
cared where, living in those same
once-grand places but now as 
cast-off hovels and hulks of what
they once may be been. I'd bet
not a one of those current, fiery
inhabitants could even begin to
tell me were Bratislava might be.
My friend, the mopey guy, for him,
in his anger and froth, I'd bet
if a an antique letter-collector
had come by just then he'd have
torn him to pieces with curses
and mangled oaths!




No comments: