Monday, March 18, 2019

11,618. RUDIMENTS, pt. 628

RUDIMENTS, pt. 628
(so good they named it twice?)
There was always one weird
thing about the American justice
system that I could never
understand  -  in fact it was
probably the one thing that
most disgusted me, or one of
them anyway. I never understood
how or why a person, in the
throes of, say, violence, caught
at the scene, on camera, all the
situations showing the action and
the perpetration of the crime,
can then be allowed to plead
not guilty. It baffled me. It
also then takes the next three
or four years of long and
drawn-out publicity filled
trials and opinionaters and
talking heads and appeals
and the rest, going through
millions of dollars for the sake
of the person on trial. I used
to wonder, is there no truth
or justice? What's all this crap
about? And why? I guess the
origination of this thought
right now is, back in 1968 or
whatever it was, remembering
that Sirhan Sirhan guy who killed
Robert Kennedy. And that's just
one example  - just the other day
there was a mob-murder thing
in Staten Island; the guy did it,
they nabbed him, etc. and he's
pleading not guilty. Same thing.
In the case of Sirhan Sirhan I can
remember sitting in a little crap
diner and all this was coming over
the radio  - a guy with two names,
first and last, both the same? I
mean, we have Joe-Joe here, but
this was more like Smith-Smith.
Anyway, they got him, and all this
noise ensued : hearings, trials,
detainment, etc.  Obviously, I
know little or nothing of the
Justice system  -  if there's
anything to know  -  but where
is, lets say, the line ever drawn?
When does reality ever set in?
I can never understand how
people facing the guilt of a
grave crime, can plead
innocence. It became merely
one of many of the pillars of
my personal fixation on how
society is screwed up. I can
already hear all the bleeders
out there saying everyone
deserves a hearing and a chance,
but I totally disagree. No one
deserves a thing. It happens in
the same way with the endless
garbage-pleas of politicians and
business-types who get (finally)
caught with their hand up the
wrong ass. I say burn them,
maybe talk later, but only if
you care to  -  because I don't.
-
In NYC there's an entire section
downtown  -  the old Five Points  -
that's now government buildings,
police buildings, massive courts
and courthouses. Family Courts,
Immigration, City Hall, Municipal
Archives, and, of course, the
Municipal Building itself. I
remember back in the Nixon days,
a few of those John Mitchell type
characters, I guess on State charges
in addition to Federal, coming
through these courthouses, with
TV cameras trailing, up and down
those big steps  -  Gabe Pressman
(apt a name as ever was) and all
the other cheesy TV reporters,
swarming around, cameras and
microphones. Everyone had
something to say and no one
had 'done' anything. Even in
Hell, every angel is pure.
-
I used to walk around those streets,
mostly just for the fun of seeing the
old buildings, the hat shops, the
gargoyles and things. In fact, it
was outside the Municipal Archives
Building, late one damp and chilly
night, way after midnight, that I
stumbled on all those old real estate
tax-record photos I have. They were
just all in heaps, boxed at the curb,
I guessed, for the next garbage. I
took as many as I was able to take,
and just mosied along dragging
awkward boxes. Now I wish I'd
gone back and taken them all.
-
Back to my original point about
guilty perpetrators and the massive
defense industry of mostly grubby
lawyers out often just to squeeze 
a fortune and a reputation out of 
things while using the name of'
equal justice and rights for all
as a cover. I find that to be a
perversion of the system as
much as is any business, bank,
or corporate entity rim-jobbing
us left and right. This entire
system has become so encrypted
with foulness that to see it every so
often just pop up to set 'rightness'
back in place for the benefit of a
guilty-deed-doer and in the
'name' of some false category of
 justice, seems incredibly wrong.
-
I used to walk around New York
City wide-eyed and innocent and
thinking all things were perfect and
always taken care of in the best
possible manner. There was a lot
to learn, and I began learning it
quite quickly. First off, I learned
about subterfuge, and about how
the street-character type operators 
of the city  - the real jazzy ones, like
Andy Bonamo who, unfortunately,
I'd cast my lot with, didn't do anything
above board and were, instead, part 
and parcel of a vaster underground
conspiracy of double-dealers and
spies. In fact, in his case, double
agents. Evidently the G-Men forces
on the hippie and lower east side
task forces had planted him just
for the plucking of fools like me.
There were always guys like that
out on the street I guess; it was sort
of the FBI's way of keeping tabs  -
you have to remember the Vietnam
climate of those days, and I'm
not exaggerating. There was a 
period of time when it seemed at 
any moment a real street insurrection 
was about to break out. There were,
as well, all sorts of vile things taking
place on any day  -  one time, I can't
recall when, we had the apartment 
filled with people setting out in cars
and vans to Washington DC for 
some demonstration or another, 
and this one, within its placid,
marijuana-hazed effects, was going
to 'levitate the Pentagon.' Real stuff.
The idea was the amass the peaceful
psychic power of all these 'hundreds
of thousands' of people and, to disarm
the militaries and bring forth only
Goodness from peace, use mind
power to lift the Pentagon off its
base. Maybe even spin it around.
What happened was, when they
arrived there, the entire place had 
been ringed, and barricaded, by 
bumper-to-bumper buses, placed
by the Government and feds, to act
as a protective fencing all around 
these places. No one could near 
the Pentagon, even if they flew in.
So much for intensity. But, I must
say, two days later, when they all
got back, or started coming back in,
no one was dispirited and the party
and food lasted for days. I used
to just scratch my head over all this,
and over my stupid hospitality to
have let all this crap happen around
me, and in a place I'd thought was
going to be my own. That's
pretty much when I said so long to
little batch of Hollywood and holed
up instead in the basement of the
Studio School, where they'd started
letting me live and bunk. Real
happiness never looked better.






No comments: