Saturday, March 23, 2019

11,631. RUDIMENTS, pt. 633

RUDIMENTS, pt. 633
('fighting a heavy sea, in a rowboat')
There were lots of times I got
real serious about myself  - even
with good luck, just squeaking by.
The poet Frank  O'Hara, it was,
said: 'If life were merely a habit, I
should commit suicide; but even
now, more or less desperate, I
cannot but think, 'Something
wonderful may happen.' It is
not optimism, it is a rejection
of self-pity (I hope) which
leaves a loophole for life...I
merely choose to remain
living out of respect for
possibility.' My version of
that, I guess, had become  - 
when people asked about my
check-out date  -  which they
did  -  was 'I want to stick
around to see how this thing
turns out.' The weird thing is,
I'm still here, and about 5 or
6 of my Earthbound 'friends'
of those days are no longer :
dead by their own hands. Even
poor old Frank here  -  he was
run down, late one night and
quite by accident, on a Hamptons
beach or sand-dune, whatever,
while out walking. Nothing
you'd ever expect. Life has its
ways of animating, and just as
quickly, de-animating, everything.
-
I had to do a lot of learning, and
quickly, while standing on my
own feet and jut taking in all
that I could.  My firmament
was never steady. I often felt
the way I figured black people
must have felt back then in
South Africa with that system
of apartheid  - which was still
in place there, in 1968. It's like
super-segregation, with the blacks
living completely separated and
in enclaves, so that the Dutch,
who considered themselves more
right, and better, and correct, could
remain in charge of the land they'd
taken and corralled the people of.
'A lot of mood and often depression
goes along with being an artist, and,
given the rules of society, it's often
very difficult for the artist to then
meld in with the rest, and cope.'
In my case, of course, it little
mattered, since I was willing to
cede it all away. As I saw it, the rest 
of the world, nay, the universe?
They could HAVE it for all I
cared. I needed to burrow, stay
separate; I had a million things
to read and search. The artist
part of it (in using that term, I
refer to all aspects  -  writing,
painting, drawing, learning and
reading. That's what artists do).
Artists, I noticed, don't have
downtime; they were always
at it, even when things are
seemingly off in another direction
the brain and heart are still at
the 'Show' (see previous chapter).
I was unable to keep my mind
on all the dumb stuff around me,
and that was fine. Most things
people did and said were done
or said in blindness. You know
how the word (again, way too
glib for my mouth) 'talkies' got
to mean, for early films, 'films
that talked, with sound' and then
just fell away as ALL movies
then had sound, and the word just
sounded stupid. Well the word
'movies' (equally stupid) meant
images that moved. But, for
whatever reason, the dumbness
of people never changed that one.
They still consistently went to the
'movies'  -  it sounded like baby
talk to me, from someone not
bothering to think about what
they were saying. That was the
sort on intensive scrutiny of
everything which I was living.
-
I had some ineptly strange
moments too. You may recall
my previous episodes with Jim
Tomberg, the sculpture guy
with whom I took up. He had
the lower studio, at the
MacDougal Alley back
doorway. He was a metal '
sculptor, welding chunks of
steel and metal and all  - 
many of which we'd trek out
Brooklyn junkyards, by train,
to get  -  traipsing back in with
these often cumbersome and
awkwardly heavy, chunks of
metal for him to work with. Jim
was from San Francisco too,
and sort of just transplanted
himself east, for a year or two,
he thought, to see what it was
like here. He often said to me,
based on my asking how he
liked it, what he'd found, etc.,
that 'If the country had been
settled from west to east  - 
instead of east to west, as
it had been  -  this whole
area would be a neglected,
agricultural backwater.' Jim
drank a lot, was some 6 or 8
years older than me, much
bulkier and tougher too. He
slept with any female that
blinked. Often there be some
version of something waking
up with him, on the studio
'cot'. He also worked at one
or two of the Bleecker Street
and Macdougal Street corner
bars and clubs, Cafe Bizarro,
Wha, etc. There were a few,
and from that I often got food.
Thanks, Jim, wherever ye be.
Anyway, alien to my own
outlook, he too, as an artist,
was of the social crowd  - 
liked people, moved well
among others, enjoyed the
romp. I was the complete
opposite. That was a tough
problem to cover. The French
poet, Charles Baudelaire, had
it as, 'the frenzy of the artist is
in the fear of going fast enough,
of letting the phantom escape
before the synthesis has been
extracted and pinned down; it
is that terrible fear that takes
possession of all great artists
and gives them such a passionate
desire to become masters of
every means of expression so
that the orders of the brain may
never be perverted by the
hesitations of the hand and
that finally....ideal execution
may become as unconscious
and spontaneous as is digestion
for a healthy man after dinner.'
Well, you get the picture  -  I
didn't want distraction; nor to
be bothered by fluff. That
still goes.
-
Nonetheless, in the absolute 
midst of all the craziness, I 
was getting somewhere; I was 
making a satisfiable progress.
There was work to do, and
someone was always talking  -
a lecture or a talk somewhere,
open to attend. I did. The music
lectures of Morton Feldman 
were long, discursive, sometimes
weekly, sometimes more, and
they weren't so much about what
went around known as 'music'
but more about Morton Feldman's
music, crowd, metier and range.
it was fascinating. He mumbled
funny, talked forever, looked odd.
But I loved it, stepping in late
and staying. If this was 'Music,
I'll have a cup. At this time he
was just about 40; no longer
the 24-year old wunderkind
of 1951, which to me just made
it better. 'There is that doctor
who opens you up, does exactly
the right thing, closes you up  -  
and you die. He failed to take
the chance that might have saved 
you. Art is a crucial, dangerous
operation we perform on
ourselves. Unless we take a
chance, we die in art.'
-
I want you each, whoever it is
who reads this, to understand
 that this material is not just
being thrown out at you. This 
is and was my life and my
life's experiences, which I am
here bringing back. I feel myself
cut from a different cloth  -  and
I'll unabashedly admit now to
saying that  -  and no one else
would give you these portrayals 
or views or experiences. This is a
mere beginning, and I'll be here
until I'm dead. Lucky you. Let me
close this chapter, again at the
Studio School, with the words of
Morton Feldman : 'The Whitney
Museum in Greenwich Village
was the stronghold of the Wasp
Bohemia. The beautiful building,
taken over now by the New York
Studio School, still stands on
Eighth Street. I lectured there
recently, and while wandering
through the upper floors looked in
on what used to be Mrs. Whitney's
studio. The room was like a page
out of a Henry James novel...there
were two diametrically opposed
points of view I had to cope with 
in those days. One represented by 
John Cage (composer) and the other 
by Philip Guston (painter). Cage's
idea was summed up in 'Everything
is music.' A more and more social 
point of view, less and less toward an
artistic one. Like Mayakovsky, who  
gave up his art for society, Cage gave
up art to bring it together with
society. The there was Guston. He
was the arch crank. Very little
pleased him. Very little satisfied him. 
Very little was art. Always aware in 
his own work of the rhetorical nature 
of the complication, Guston reduces, 
reduces,  building his own Tower 
of Babel and then destroying it.' 
-
I was amidst them all, and heard
all those disparate voices.






No comments: