Wednesday, May 30, 2018

10,852. RUDIMENTS, pt. 332

RUDIMENTS, pt. 332
Making Cars
In some ways it always
seemed to me that you
could judge a man by
the men who hate him.
Anyway I was often told
that 'Jeez, Gar, people
either love you or hate
you, what's with that?'
And I of course never
had an answer; though
it never exactly made me
feel real good. There used
to be an old Teddy Roosevelt
quote going around, and
someone once gave it to me
on a plaque, to hang. It was
called 'the Man in the Arena'
or something like that. It
went to the effect that
everyone has opinions
and about this person in
the limelight, the doer. But
that was only because he
WAS the doer, the man of
action, the one hard at work.
I never judged like that, and
that quote always seemed
a bit too much to be belittling
others for being slackers.
-
I've been in a lot of touchy 
situations, a lot of it motorcycle
related, from back in those days.
Even though I was neck-deep
in all that stuff for a long time,
I never got to the bottom of it.
Looking back now, as I try to
deconstruct the Biker scene, I
get somewhere, and then it fades.
The people were sometimes
dangerous  -  I mean the club 
guys, just out and out hideous.
A beating, real blood, etc., could
end up meaning nothing to them.
There wasn't really a logic of
sensibility to much of it, just
as often the plain old schoolyards
antics of bullies who grew more
and more stronger by company.
The more the merrier, so to 
speak. One time, and this was
late, like 1998, in the midst of
a pretty good struggle going
on between the two big clubs, 
I ran across a strange scene, 
when I realized pretty much 
it was over for me or had 
better be or should really 
be, before something horrid 
befell me. I won't be 
mentioning any names, 
or club names, or nicknames 
either, so if you can surmise 
any of this fine; if not, no 
big deal. The times had 
been pretty vital and rough 
between the two clubs. 
One was headquartered 
here, NYC, lower east side, 
with some forays into 
establishing a central NJ 
presence. Which presence 
this other side, northern 
New Jersey guys and 
southern New Jersey 
guys and Philadelphia. 
The NJ guys had been 
sending guys to my 
ABATE office, and at
the same time demanding 
that we buy 20 or so 
tickets, etc, for the various 
runs and events they were 
pushing. They were maybe 
25 bucks each, annoyance 
and a sum when added up.
That's the story I've previously 
related about the piece of 
lumber thrown through the 
window with the scrawled 
message on it about 'I need 
that money;' etc. (I still have 
it, as it's now the back of a 
painting I did, using that flat 
wood for the painting surface.). 
Two or three guys in particular 
used to show up and hang 
around, mainly making 
sure the 'other' side had 
been having no dealings 
with me. (Yes, it as all 
very weird). There had 
been talk of some guys 
here and there playing 
both sides, or going to 
the 'other' side; traitors, 
turncoats, all that crap. 
It usually resulted in big 
trouble, shooting, beating,
stabbings, even death.
(Yeah, it was all very 
weird, did I mention?). 
Anyway, in the middle 
of all this, broad daylight, 
one day along the lower 
east side, on his bike (a 
hoped-up, radical Sportster, 
actually, and surprisingly) 
I'm standing at a corner, 
my wife with me, (how
homey!) waiting for a light
to change, and there comes 
guess-who? Yep, the NJ 
club guy who'd often been 
hanging around me the 
most, and a tough hombre 
he was. I wonder, 'what 
the heck's he doing here, 
downtown, this neck of 
the woods, NYC.' All 
way out of the ordinary. 
Well, when I saw to what 
street he was headed, and, 
knowing what headquarters 
was there, I said, 'Holy shit! 
Two sides against the middle!' 
I was flabbergasted, and 
immediately, in my half-stance 
between the two clubs but 
really neither at all, began 
figuring the odds of my 
getting caught in a lowland 
middle deal I was too fond 
of. So, at that point I just 
began laying really low 
and staying out of that 
harm's way (there were 
others). All secrets, yeah, 
safe with me. I ignored 
him, he didn't see me, 
and it was as if the instant 
never occurred. Another 
time, not near as 'strange' 
nor fraught with danger, 
but just as vivid. I was 
sitting in Tompkins 
Square Park, a misty, 
half rainy, early October 
day, presaging Fall, 
cool and damp. I'd 
known guy in the NY 
club, from Iselin, who 
had entered into  full 
club membership and 
been moved into the 
housing and headquarters 
the club kept down there. 
Famous spot; out of it, 
besides the motorcycle 
stuff, they had a few 
other enterprises going, 
under other business 
names  -  van/delivery 
service, a small trucking 
company, some bars and 
girlie clubs, etc. I espied
him, walking quite 
determinedly through 
the park. He was sort of 
criss-crossing, cutting 
the angle as a short cut. 
Out on Second Avenue 
there, one of the businesses 
I'd noticed was a temporary, 
pop-up sort of storefront 
for Halloween costumes 
and masks, capes, tophats, 
any of that ghoulish 
Halloween stuff they 
sell : lanterns, inner lit
pumpkin-lights, etc., etc. 
And that was right where 
he was headed. He strolled 
right in as if he owned the 
place. Which, I figured 
from that, they did.
-
These weren't drinking guys.
They couldn't really do any of 
that stuff, except maybe, if out
late at night somewhere, among 
their own club, at their bars.
Half of them were wanted for
one thing or another anyway,
their bikes gave them away,
facing confiscation  - even
though really the NYC Police
mostly let them be, hands-off,
by agreement. The Feds were
another story. They had Biker
Task-Force guys, drug and
alcohol guys, RICO act guys,
always out in force and with
ongoing investigations. There
were times, honestly, we'd go
places and the entire scene 
would be being filmed from a
rooftop nearby  -  long lenses, 
FBI guys standing around, 
radio contacts, you name it.
And it wasn't over Halloween
shops either. This was serious
business.
-
A lot of these hardly ever left
the clubhouse  -  which was also
a fortress and on what was termed,
because of their 'justice', the safest
street in NYC. It was lounge,
clubhouse, tavern dwelling, and
store, all combined  -  they 
sometimes sold shirts and other
support items out front. It was
touchy, and you had to be real
cagey, as an outsider, to get
involved, but people bought 
stuff. Some of their motorcycles
were always out front, protected,
with a guard posted (one of them,
on a rotating basis, the lower
echelon guys). It was just the
way it went. You hear stuff,
the stories and the tales. I
remember those two writers,
Hunter Thompson, and Tom
Wolfe, both writing 'books'
about their allowed-n time 
with the club guys, to write 
testimonials; supposed 'insider'
accounts of what really went
on  -  California stuff, runs,
parties, girls, women, funerals,
fights, rumbles, cops, indictments
and arrests too. How true and
how far any of it went, I don't
know. I hear tell once or twice 
they both got beat up along 
the way for one thing or another.
Separate projects, each, these
were. These two gents were
never in cahoots.
-
The writer Suketu Mehta, in his
'Maximum City,' wrote: "Each 
person's life is dominated by a
central event, which shapes and
distorts everything that comes 
after it and, in retrospect, 
everything that came before." 
I think I find that to be true, but,
for myself, I cannot decide which
it would be : being pulled out of
urban, waterfront Bayonne, early
on, with my little glimmers of its
memory still; The train wreck;
the seminary years; NYCity in
exile; or these little tidbits of
Biker years and lore; or any of six
or seven other episodal eras in
my own, dull life. One time,
someone's mother said to me:
"Life is out there, what you catch
sight of when the windshield
wiper momentarily clears the
glass obscured by rain or snow."








No comments: