Monday, May 7, 2018

10,800. WHY DRINKING WINE AT MIDNIGHT WILL DO YOU NO GOOD

WHY DRINKING WINE 
AT MIDNIGHT WILL DO 
YOU NO GOOD
But oh they say it will  -  for
aches and pains and joints and
junctures, everything that may
become a mess. So get drunk 
enough, I guess, but just not
too much. Bring the slingshot
to slay Goliath, or the scissors
to cut off whoever that guy was
with the hair. One time on Bleecker
Street, I was walking with my
friend, Dave McGrath. Two people,
a man and a woman stopped us, 
and pointedly asked me directions.
It was somewhere we knew, and I
answered OK, but then I said, 
Why did you ask me?' They were
Greek, and there were a hundred 
other people they could have asked.
They looked us over and the guy 
said, 'Because you have Greek hair.'
We laughed. 'Greek hair? Me? What
are you talking about and what 
difference would it make?' He too
laughed, and so did she. 'Compatriots,
together, you understand?' We let it
go at that though we really did not
understand. Wielding no cudgel, 
what should it matter?
-
Another time, a French couple asked
me to get them to the Greenwich
Hotel. Funny thing, that was at about
the same spot these people asked us
their question  -  but where there's was
a question, for the French couple it
was the destination. Isn't life strange?

No comments: