Wednesday, May 16, 2018

10,826. RUDIMENTS, pt. 317

RUDIMENTS, pt 317
Making Cars
It sometimes got funny,
looking back, for me to
try and find a back-story
to the times I was born in.
Harry Truman, President.
When Dewey ran against
Truman, 1948 it was, and
all these newspapers, so
cock-sure of the result,
printed all those headline-
issues the night before
that read, 'Dewey Defeats
Truman!' It was a shocker.
Of course, I knew nothing
of it at all, until much later.
They had to throw all those
papers out, revise, and reprint.
But, later, all the revised references 
were unerring: Dewey lost because he
was boring; he looked like the little
guy on the top of wedding-cakes.
That plastic character you'd see.
Maybe that was true, but what
did Truman look like that was
any better? A short little plug
of a guy, like a pugilist, all
tight with bluster and ire. I
didn't know a thing about
politics and it wasn't ever
really openly even spoken of.
Why should it be? All these
guys were home from the
most recent war and, if there
had to be another one somewhere,
they wanted little to do with it.
All those new Korean War guys,
they were mostly forgotten
before they ever returned.
Truman, all anyone knew, had
dropped two big bombs; the
ones that had ended the later,
Jap, part of that big war, and
for that he was to be thanked.
Period. No questions asked. It
was said ll those people who died,
and the cities which were fried,
they deserved it, and they saved
further Americans from dying.
That was my back-story, I guess;
the one to my time of birth. Even
if it wasn't, who cared? When I
was in my earliest years, 1,2,3,4,
along the waterway in Bayonne,
being pushed like an infant slob
in a stroller, or not, I didn't know
any of this. I just knew colors and
movement and action and lights.
Cars. Boats, The oiled glisten of
the 1950 waters  -  which I can
still remember as liquid black,
something I'd just learned to see,
whether it existed or not. For all
the rest of my life, no one has ever
mentioned liquid black to me.
But it's the color of industrial
water, flowing. They don't make
that crayon, kiddies. You've got
to find it on your own.
-
It was all pretty weird how
everything was already in place.
No understanding needed on my
part : how or why I got to this
location and this vein of Life. I'd
never know and no one ever tells
you. It could have been deep in St.
Petersburg, Russia; it could have
been Amsterdam or Rotterdam,
or any of those 'dam' places.
Here it was, however; as American
as apple pie, New York City waters,
tugboats, freighters, steamers,
barges and tankers too. Bayonne
NJ  -  where the language was
English and the air was foul. I
guess I had some genetic thing,
some longing, to be at waterways
and all they brought forth: flow,
flux, change, freight, and movement.
Nothing kept still. There were lights
and whistles all the time. At about
the same time as all this, in Bayonne,
at the Eighth Street Station (a train
stop and bars) or whatever that railroad
spot was, nearby enough, the train
traffic was running down. No one
knew quite what to do anymore
about buses and trains and transit.
All they had seen in Europe was the
poor, the beleaguered and the bombed;
desperately searching for transit.
Only poor people used trains and
they were, evidently, because of that,
turning their back on all that. Moving
up and out. By 1947/48, I'd read,
there were hordes of jobless men,
angry too. The Government had the
picture it wanted, the blueprinted
layout for the next hundred years
but riotous ex-soldiers could sure
muck that up. So they gave away
'schooling.' The GI Bill got all these
crazed, nightmarish men going again:
'Give them something to do, learn
a trade, get a profession, and they'll
leave us, finally, alone.' That was
the motto. Fifteen years before it had
been the same sort of situation, but
the WPA and all those Depression
work programs kept people in line;
and then (finally!) the war solved
that problem. Now they were all
back, wanting more again.
-
I only learned this stuff because I
wanted to. No one will ever tell it to
you. Again, Mr. Ziccardi, my Sixth
Grade teacher  - the first and
nearest person I'd run across who
perhaps, maybe, [hope!], would have
been a truth-teller, turned out not
to be that at all. He was stuck on
clay and papier-mache model
projects of Mesopotamia, the
'Fertile Crescent,' (always sounded
sexy to me), and his own damned
Korean War, in an endless pantomime
of uselessness. 'What'd ya' do with
your bayonet, Mr Joe? Cut necks?
Slit throats? Bust guts till the
intestines flowed out?' Yeah, we
need to know that stuff. I really
can't stand gung-ho teachers who
push military crap into young kids'
heads. Y'know. What's with that?
-
He and any of them might just as
much had said, 'You're gonna' die;
probably at least 3 of you, right
here in this classroom, and 3 probably
in all the others too, are going to
die. Vietnam maybe. Syria. Lebanon.
Egypt. Take your pick. It's good stuff.'
For that we played volleyball? For
that we played dodgeball in a
concrete gymnasium?
-
I studied things. I got to Avenel and
studied things  -  all my harbor
stuff was gone, there. It had been
taken from me, the loss of liquid
black was tough. I was dumped
instead in green swampland, but
at first I really didn't want to be.
-
Bit whatever. Later I heard stories,
and I started reading things. America
wasn't at all what it was cracked up
to be. I found people and stories
I fell in love with  -  poets and
revolutionaries. People like Toussaint 
L'Ouverture, a slave who liberated 
Haiti. Ah! But failed. (I always took
glory from failure). John Brown at
Harper's Ferry. And mostly, near
and dear because he was still alive, 
(died, 1976). Paul Robeson.
-
Paul Robeson was an outcast.
People in America hated him, 
had driven him off. He had
betrayed them  -  his rolling,
black gumbo of a voice had
moved from the traditional and
welcomed songs of folk tradition
and slavery, into a much hotter
arena of freedom songs, liberation
songs. High anxiety songs. No 
longer just the simple songs of
communal love and life and
death  -  they became the more
urgent cries of a people yearning 
to escape their bondage and
break loose. They lived in a
powerful country but were
oppressed and humiliated on
a daily basis. Robeson became
their voice. He took up their 
mantle. The way he sang 'Let
My People Go,' and 'Go Down
Moses,' the words had nothing
to do with comfort and consolation.
rather, it was a demand; a demand 
to break free, and it was heralded
by a deep, powerful basso-profundo
voice that would not be stopped.
When I heard him sing 'Ole Man
River,' I was stopped in my tracks.
I was captivated, and I was just
an otherwise dumb white kid. I
didn't even know a black person,
really, except one or two from 
the hole below Iselin, off Route 
One, where 'they' lived (before
that too was developed). Seventh
Grade maybe, 2 of 3 of them.
'The Silent Brothers,' I took to
calling them. Something was 
wrong, and I could tell.
-
Robeson'e father had been a slave,
and at the time of the Civil War he
fled to Princeton, New Jersey.
Princeton had always been known as,
commonly stated, the 'northernmost
town of the South.' Like the university.
It wasn't much of an improvement,
but it was. He became a minister.
His son, Paul, ended up a big man at
Rutgers. Marked out for great things,
future Governor of New Jersey; fate
called. He threw it all down. The
deciding moment was when, as a
young lawyer, a stenographer
refused to 'take dictation from
a nigger.' He threw himself then
instead, into the vibrant artistic
life of Harlem  -  the Harlem
Renaissance, all that ferment of
Greenwich Village and NYC. Appearing
in plays by Eugene O'Neill, giving
concerts of African music, and
promoting the fierce black cause
brewing inside of him. His fame 
spread with startling speed. Soon he
was lionized on both sides of the
Atlantic, for his voice, his brawn, his
action, his physique. He was frequently
photographed and sculpted, 'as
often as not, naked.' He was the
 'black star everyone had been
waiting for, the acceptable face
of negritude.'
-
One thing I noticed, right off, 
differently, was that Robeson had 
a father and a family life that
pushed and prodded him into 
success. Forcing learning; aware
of things. I'd never had that. 
Anything I ever did, I did on 
my own. I had to. No one was
pushing me anywhere. The level
of life where I was living, and at
home, was: 'Get by. Forget all
that other stuff; be like the rest.
Work, and get by.' Maybe it was
like that for everyone in a place
like Avenel. Whatever colleges
beckoned, I heard nothing, or
little, of them. Others had bread;
I lived in the flour.
-
Robeson became really big in
Britain; a star, on stage, and as a
singer and a speaker too. Idolized
and revered. He married, and they
settled there, while he engaged in
a series of liaisons with English
women 'under his wife's nose,' as
is said. All during this time, with
the adulation and the stardom 
and all it brought, he was being 
radicalized. His friends were
left-wing thinkers and young
firebrands like Kwame Nkrumah
and Jomo Kenyatta, bent on
overthrowing African colonial 
rule. (These names may mean
nothing to you, but in the early
1960's they were big names,
and each became leaders of their
countires after revolutions). By
1943 he was back in America,
playing Broadway. He was the
man of the future, and America
was about to change. 
------continued next chapter.








No comments: