Thursday, May 24, 2018

10,831. NASCIMENTO

NASCIMENTO
The shuddering garbage truck 
arrives again, alone with its 
driver pinned inside. He does
nothing but drive. Drive and
watch  -  pretty much the same 
thing. Nothing major, just the
lateral pass of another working
day. Just a few days away is his
real time for fun. 'Think  I'll have 
some beer and singe me a steak.'
-
Outside at the deli corner, this
ancient wheezer sells poppies
from a tray. Sits there all day.
He's in a dark green wheelchair
with master controls, a real
motorized troll. Two thin, clear
tubes run out his nose, I guess
for air, to help him breath. His
poppies are nice, but I don't
see the need. My memory
for war is quite lame.
-
All the same, it seems this life
goes on : the guys with their
trucks and the girls with their
hauntings. Boy, I'd like me one
of them someday soon  -  but it's
too late for all that now. I'm due
at the check-out soon myself.
Just put my poppie up on the
shelf. I'll remember you.

No comments: