Sunday, May 6, 2018

10,797. RUDIMENTS, pt. 308

RUDIMENTS, pt. 308
Making Cars
It seems to me that most
people spend all their young
lives wishing to be adults, and
when they finally get there
they soon enough revert to
acting like children. I don't
just mean the kids and the
grandkids and parenting and
all that; that's a real nuisance
too, but it goes with the
territory and for the most
part most people end up
comporting themselves
very well with all the
goo-goo and drivel and
DisneyWorld stuff. That's
not what I mean. I'm meaning
more the childish aspects
of thought and intellect:
only wanting to hear happy
tales and good news stories;
avoiding the dark and serious;
seeking returns to old nostalgic
places and times, though now
with some money and some
alcohol too. By contrast, I
was a terrible kid, and dislike
children to this day. All I ever
wanted to be was an adult.
-
The entire children's world
panoply of hysteria, magic and
make believe escaped me and
I wished having nothing to do
with it at all. And I mostly never
did  -  Buffalo Bob and Howdy
Doody, the Three Stooges and
Officer Joe Bolton could all go
to Hell for all I cared. It just
got worse when I had my own
kid, and thank goodness I had a
wife around who could terminate
maturity enough to hang tough
with all that crap. When I was
in the hospital for that long
stay after the coma of the train
wreck, after I'd awoken and
merged somewhat back into the
game, my mother somehow set
up this TV jerk of the time to
show up at the hospital (Perth
Amboy General then) and visit
me and perform for all the
kids around there too  -  the
usual appendicitis cases, etc.
I don't remember much of it
but the guy had a kid's TV
show called The Merry Mailman
[Barf!]. His name was Ray
Heatherton. (Later, in the 60's,
he had some sexpot 20 year old
daughter named Joey Heatherton
who did USO Shows and Playboy
level crap for the national GI boys
stuck in Vietnam Corps  -  and
GI doesn't mean my initials). He
played his routine for everyone
around and I recall it as a big
hit. Except, as I said, I remember
little of it. But right off, in the
midst of this crummy situation  -
me in casts and traction and jaw
wired shut and all sorts of long,
drawn-out injures, I was supposed
to see only the bright and sunny
side of things. Make light of a
bad situation  -  which I thought
was easy for others to say but
not so much for me, and not too
thoughtful about things either.
They may as well have sent the
Grim Reaper or Father Time
out to entertain me. Nor do I
know what this Heatherton guy
was up to  -  I guess he did this
to make some extra dough as a
sideline to his probably not that
longstanding career as a dumb,
TV clown-type character for kids,
in a wacky, pre-Mr. Rogers day.
God, if they'd sent Mr. Rogers I
swear I'd have beat him to death
with my pillow  -  casts on or not.
-
What it was all about, back then,
I never knew anyway. It was
considered cool and successful
I guess to produce a daughter
whose only claim to 'success'
was to become a fantasy-whore
to a hundred-thousand soldiers,
while her father is back home
performing for kids. And their
mothers? I can't remember who
showed up for the Merry Mailman.
It's pretty funny now, actually,
because I just looked up The
Merry Mailman and I see his
career was a bit erratic  -  and
he was heaved off the air for
a few years for 'Communist'
leanings, whatever that meant
in those gory, McCarthy years.
Cool though, maybe I was
entertained by a commie, and
complicit in tainting thereby the
entire hospital! I get it now!
Bood, and guts, and they were
called Reds! Hmmmm.
-
As it was, the entire world of
children and kid's stuff I couldn't
keep far enough away from. I
so desperately wished to be an
adult and hold adults ideas and
attitudes and opinions. I mean
real adults, not the nitwits that
passed for adult around me  -
the cool dark-thinkers along
the Quay D'Orsi, or the cafe
dudes along the seine, furiously
scribbling their words, and on 
edge about all sorts of post-war 
things that now, as issues, are 
fallen by the wayside as the 
world has turned infantile. 
Nothing accounts for anything 
any longer  -  certainly not
intensified learning or reading 
or opining or deep-thought 
writing or work. Everyone 
somehow has turned into the 
bedroom equivalent of Buffalo 
Bob and the Merry Mailman 
combined, and I guess  they 
all get wives to go with that, 
combined of Lucille Ball, 
Carol Burnett, Rosie O'Donnell 
and Whoopi Goldberg, in 
some hideous combination 
of toast and marmalade. But, 
that's how we live now. I pity 
the poor immigrant (who 
wishes he would have stayed
home), to quote a phrase. I guess 
never got what I wanted, in
any respect  -  always sniffing
around some place that wasn't to 
be mine. However my life ended
up, this wasn't quite what I had in
mind. This is all too ordinary, straight,
and boring to me  -  and because
of that I'm always breaking out
on my own, doing my own things,
and most eventually irking some or
another poor soul who just doesn't
get it or can't take it. But  can't help
it either; it's always been a spiritual
thing to me, and like some coven
of witches or some such, the
true soul part of me just knows
immediately when the flares are
going off  - who and what I can
mesh with, or not. I hate fireworks,
but it seems I was always setting 
them off somewhere. It was
always just a matter of time  -  some
of it took longer than others, but
the break-apart always came. I'm
sorry here to be so proud, but it's
not easy, never has been, being 
exceptional  -  in whatever weird way
it turned out I always was, not saying
for good or bad. Just whatever.
If you look on certain maps, you can
still see the two large, uncharted areas
that old mariners steered clear of :
'Terra Incognito' and 'Just Whatever.'








No comments: