Monday, May 14, 2018

10,823. RUDIMENTS, pt. 316

RUDIMENTS, pt. 316
Making Cars
I had a scare today; and it
had nothing to do with
looking in a mirror. I
was thinking about my
age and  - when I realized
it, seriously realized it  - 
I kind of jumped. Not in
the way of one of the joyful,
Irish-reel jumps either. The
thing that started it all was
I saw this old guy  -  note that
he was decidedly old, and
looked it, whereas I at least
figure I may in other respects
look like crap but I don't really
look 'old' old, in that way of
old people  -  seemingly a little
crushed, bent, struggling to
get along under the burden
of some ache or slow pain.
He was, from a distance, I
saw, wearing a shirt, a tee-
shirt, with lettering that I
took to say 'It Took Me A
Long Time To Get This
Wholesome.' Or, because
of the distance, it may have
said, 'This Handsome.' I
couldn't tell, and in a few
minutes they'd gotten into a
car and were gone. Wholesome
versus Handsome. Hmmm.
I wouldn't know what the
'wholesome' meant anyway  - 
drinks milk? Nice guy?
Always upright and solid?
-
And handsome, that too was
something of another category
which no longer concerned me.
Anyway, I thought the guy was
anything but that  -  not that I'm
the arbiter of that around here.
But, I got to thinking, approaching
70 (and, no, I don't mean on the
speedometer) is not the best of
times. Unfortunately not the worst
of times either, apologies to my
friend Chuck Dickens. I know
it can only get worse from here.
Bleak House, indeed. The guy
who wore that shirt was a stumbling
old guy who certainly looked as if
fun, nor wisdom either, hadn't ever
brightened his day, his waistband,
his pleasure palate or his food/diet.
Nothing but trouble. I wondered
how in holy Hell I'd gotten into
this position, and just as quickly
realized it had little to do with me,
except that it was me who had
opted to survive  -  remain, claw,
fight back, keep breathing. Stay.
-
If anyone had told me when I was
11 that in 57 years I'd still feel
the same but be 68, soon going
on past that, I would have surely 
bet them that Yogi Berra would
not spill his Yoo-Hoo, and I would
have won. There's no telling for
how any of this happened, but the
continuum of it all is that it's been
happening to everyone, not just me
Because of that, with whatever
variation you wish to give it, we 
all face the same dire sport. Top 
of the ninth, no men on, and 
we're down by 4. You'll note
that the last two items were 
baseball analogies, going with
the season currently here. And
if, by course of matter, analogy 
is the wrong word, then try 
metaphor, and if that's wrong, 
use 'reference.' I know it's not
'simile' because there's been no
like or as, but it's just as likely
it's one of them (I hid a wordplay 
in there for you just now, too).
-
I'm overplaying this. A 'real' scare
would have been a heart attack or
a tremor, at 70 while doing 70 in
a car barreling down the highway.
Then I would have known I was
old, and no refuting it. As much
as I'd like (more word-play!).
-
Back to the subject, you old jerk.
-
The right spot here, and the thing
that makes it bearable  -  from my
little kid Avenel perspective anyway,
is that I can now, at peace of a sort,
separate everything and then
compartmentalize all the little
pieces of this life-past lived. I end
up not owing anybody anything
except my real truth, my real, solid
opinions about things and about 
what's done. Every little idea of
'what might be' when I was a kid,
has now either come to some lame
fruition (failure) on my part, or 
been dis-proved as either unworkable 
or not correct  -  proved through
expierence to be false. And that
includes, schooling, manners, 
beliefs, structures, and niceties.
The only thing I can do now is
volunteer  -  for and to others  -
my own real truth as found. It's
a last-ditch way of aiding, and 
abetting  -  and it's taken my
entire life to do it. I used to
look up at the starry night-sky
from the top of my driveway
back there, at 116 Inman, and
every time I'd be able to locate
and pick out all those same stars
and constellations way up above
(it's not even really 'above,' funny
enough, and it took me 55 years
to learn and get to the bottom of
all that), me. Or what we called
'above  -  more a constantly 
changing reference point of 
really nothing at all. What does
a dumb, young, kid know anyway,
right? And then it all disappeared,
all went away  - in the flash of an 
instant, it seemed, though it did
involve time. Left with nothing,
I faced another world, alone,
entirely. Aging. Without a father,
and a mother, without many friends
and relatives who'd also gone.
To where? To that sky of old?
In a minute it was all nothing.
-
I looked at that old guy today; he, like
a fool wearing a tee-shirt that truly
made him appear as a retard, and
realized that at this stage life can
be nothing much more than a
summation. Gather it all up. And
get it all together. A Summoning
too : A person must somehow 
summon all that they have ever
been, ever thought, and ever come
through, and make it work, NOW, 
as a product, and a last-ditch effort
at surviving. When all those
sages and monks and Buddhists 
and others say 'Life is an illusion.
Reality is an illusion,' they DON'T
mean it doesn't exist  -  that's just
a silly person's over-reaction to
something they don't really 
want to hear about, so they then
exaggerate it so they can scoff. 
What is meant by saying 'Reality
is an illusion' is that, much more
simply, things are NOT what
they seem. Everything is in a
constant state of change : a tree
seems to be solid, but it's not.
Cut it down and burn it, it 
becomes energy in the form
of heat; turn it into paper, and
it becomes a book; bury the book
in the ground, it returns to the
soil that nourishes a tree. If it's
the right book, it reaches a mind
and changes a world. On and on
it goes  -  as tree, fire, heat, paper, 
book, soil  -  or the wooden table
you do your work upon. All things
are merely incarnations over the
course of time. And what is that,
after all, this 'Time' we speak of?
Just more illusion. Hopefully
wholesome. So, hey, maybe it
did take that guy a long time to
get that wholesome, after all!
-
I brushed my dog, Springtime
shedding, white dog  hair all
around. As we sat there musing,
within ten minutes, sparrows
had come down, 5 or 6. They went
right to work, and I mean busily,
each of them stuffing their little
sparrow beaks with with dog hair,
as each flew off, and then returned.
In a short while it was mostly
all gone : my dog, in part, now
returned to nature too, was
becoming, as transformed,
a series of bird nests. I guess
things never really are what
they seem, and ain't that a
wholesome fact! (Took me
a while, but I caught on)...


No comments: