Tuesday, May 23, 2017

9551. WHY IS GRETCHEN LIKE THAT?

WHY IS GRETCHEN 
LIKE THAT?
And the answer is, 'I don't know.' The 
wallpaper has now covered the garage 
and the moonbeams have captured my
heart. The pasture is left for the wide-open
cows, and all things have the room that
they need. It was a mere ten years back,
or so, when the bankers were jumping
from windows  -  all those 'too big to
fail' types had run out of luck. It was
2007 back then too, yes, in my head. 
I was sitting at the train platform, 
like every sad morning after morning 
I'd been living then. I had to listen to
all this stuff, and no one, really, wanted
me around. The banker, ever day, on his
way to Philadelphia, and that girl who
worked for the monument commission
there. Her too. A queen from Trenton's
recycling bin. Attempts at a-propos, all 
just made me glum. I had the temperment
of a ground hog. Oh just leave me be.
-
What to do when your hands are soggy
and your mind is dry?The rough and ready
crowd, nowhere to be seen. This was slow
torture, if you know what I mean.

No comments: