Saturday, May 13, 2017

9516. FOR THE LAST OF THE BEINGS OF LIGHT

FOR THE LAST OF 
THE BEINGS OF LIGHT
For the indigent and the ones who don't
know who they are, for the poor and the brave,
for the sad and the happy, for the bejeweled and
the encrusted, for those with hats, for haters
and for mothers, and fathers and sisters and
brothers. I write for you. For those who refuse 
to believe, and for those who can't but help
believing, this is all yours as well. For those 
who were there when the lights went out, and
the blitzkrieg fell from the skies, and the
people who were dying died. I write these
notes for you. For the lady with thirty-one
cents and little else, for you I write as I
watch you walk away  -  into the thrift-store
with your already sloppy ways but with 
your concern for others too. So gracious and
so dumb, together, but wonderful all alike.
For the guy with the cigarette face who
ambled to me and asked a few simple
questions  -  and to whom I wished to
give encyclopedias of good knowledge
and every solid thing; I write for you
and your lineage and for whomever
you may have had and whoever has
you now. All you last beings of Light.

No comments: