Tuesday, April 17, 2012

3584. CARMELA

CARMELA
Oh, Carmela, you have found
me here once more : asleep beneath
the stars, camping out beneath the
eucalyptus tree. As I exited your
pleasant hacienda, the door was
already open and the outdoors
beckoned. The bright full moon
called the cats and the critters
together. I saw, in the half-light,
weirdly enough, a mother raccoon
scurrying  -  slowly and with some
brave aplomb  -  across the grass 
and driveway with her young one
in her mouth. Perhaps ten days
old, I'd guess, it hung there limp
as she transported it, looking for
a better place to hide, I guess.
She was bold and strong;
reminded me of you.
-
I know they're cutting
trees down in the Springtime
hollow. I wish they wouldn't do
that but they do. I can only assume
that's what moved the raccoon too.

No comments: