Monday, April 9, 2012

3560. MAN WITH A SEVERED LEG

MAN WITH A SEVERED LEG
A man with a severed leg can still function;
still crawl over rocks, still seek distinction. 
His parameters, though slightly changed,
can still make the grade  -  he can strive
and achieve, manuever to better make
a grasp, elude capture by wiles of thought.
There is, really, nothing like it in the world.
-
The mountain climber will tell you of all
his regrets : "It was gruesome, yet I did 
what I had to do until rescue arrived.
The cold and the ice, actually, probably
saved my life. I had to cut my own leg
off to get out from under that rock  -  the
rockslide had crumbled it anyway, to shreds.
No mean task, though not easy just the same.
-
Once I was free, I found ways to survive;
five, six hours until rescuers came. It
was nasty, it hurt, I was in pain  -  but 
I managed well until rescuers came,
and I knew from that day my life
would never be the same."

No comments: