Tuesday, April 10, 2012

3563. AND AUGUST, 1967 (early for me)

 AND AUGUST, 1967
(early for me)
Manchatter and the Marktones we hid beneath the stairs.
We kept the tea the color of tan shoes and we often enough
laughed at all the wrong things. That was the way things were
in 1967 along St. Mark's Place. Cat Mother and the All Night
Newsboys, they too were playing at the Psychedelicatessan.
I only realize now, in looking back, how really Jewish at core
all this movement stuff was. I went to the Diggers Free Store
often enough, mostly in the hopes of getting a glimpse. Those
girls from Ave A by Third Street, they most often had on
no clothes, and there was always some excuse to go there.
Fetch this. Bring a message back. It was all a Summer's fun for
a boy like me. I lit my incandescent lamp by the firelights at their
knees, and just always hoped they'd answer again the door.
'God,' I'd say to myself, 'they are so advanced.'
-
We drove a parts truck all across the all-night streets.
Throwing papers to the curb, packing the East Village
Other in the small storefront doorways, smoking cigarettes
or reefer as we ran. And then, dawn. At which point we'd
get to the corner of 10th and sit with all the angry Con Ed
guys slurping their 6am shift oatmeal from the Polish guy
with numbers on his forearms. Those guys were tough;
mean and ugly and not liking us too well either. We were
the threat they'd read about - the dirty kids who never
worked, stayed high, and screwed their girlfriends or
each other. Yeah. Diggers forever!
-
They overheard us, once, talking about blowing up the
generating station down at the riverside by thirteenth.
All we knew to do was talk, but talk was good and talk
was cheap. We talked so big  -  our dynamite and timers
and nitroglycerine caps. Those Con Ed guys would have
swept the floor with our hairy heads had they caught us  - 
so we never went back, Strength in numbers never mattered
when the sum amounted to zero. And then the Polish guy
died. He was a camp survivor, never spoke, and the lashes
of his eyes were still singed off somehow, and he had pink
eyes and skin with tears that never stopped, slowly, dripping.
-
What little bit I came to know about that stuff back then, I
learned from hearing about him. Auschwitz, Treblinka and
Bergen-Belsen. I think my eyes would always be tearing too,
if I was ever him. Or what he'd been. Or what he almost wasn't.
So this was the New World to a man like him. The more and
more I thought it over, the less and less I was proud of that, or
where I was and where I'd been; but still, it was early for me.

No comments: