Monday, April 9, 2012

3559. DRIVING TO GOUNOUD'S FAUST

DRIVING TO 
GOUNOUD'S FAUST
The car had a stick-drive cantilevered caterwaul
dual-braking sway system, of which your drunk roommate
knew nothing about, was unable to handle, couldn't figure
out. He sat behind the wheel like a clown at a fire. It
didn't matter much to me, since I was really all yours.
We could have died together in any of his stinking crashes
and I'd have still been dip-stick happy, crankshaft gone,
mad in love with you. The only thing I wondered was if we'd
get where we were going in some semblance of time.
-
This 'Gonoud's Faust' bullshit was on loan in my mind
from some library of doubt. I sat back thinking over
what to do in case the music bored me. I watched the
brocade of your shirt as it covered your delightful
breasts  -  I was a soldier, dead in mind but still
fighting a physical war of lust and contrition. So what.
-
Bolero. I'd heard a hundred times. La Traviata made
me droll with listlessness. Westside Story was a gay man's 
Streetcar of Desire, which had already been a gay man's 
something anyway. I really knew not where to turn. Blood
and guts was more to my fury's liking right then.
-
Gounoud's Faust I was able to get through happily.
The orchestra stayed in place at its seats  -  no
prancing around, no tricks. The music was straightforward
enough; at least making me want to listen. My dissonant
hands, however, I admit now to you, were often out of control.

No comments: