Tuesday, April 24, 2012

3607. ALL THE COUNTLESS LEAGUES OF LEGION

ALL THE COUNTLESS 
LEAGUES OF LEGION
(nyc, circa 1925)
All the countless leagues of legion are
walking with me now. These streets, like
Dorothy Day or Jane Jacobs together, up
from Henry Street along, in all sorts of
weather, surge forward with power.  Even
Mabel Dodge is out walking her high-handed
dogs and  horses. Such gracious riches come
forth from her blood. We are scholars 
in all these things.
-
I am nowhere left but outside of your
circle  -  waiting, and now so far away.
The steamboat and the tug, pulling off
from the Twelfth Street dock, would,
were I to let it, take me away. We
are scholars in manner and thought,
so I will stay. I stand here, now,
conflicted, watching the ripples
patter the wharf. I have so much
to do, but cannot bring myself,
right now, to do anything at all.

No comments: