Monday, April 23, 2012

3596. IS THAT WHAT YOU THINK?

IS THAT WHAT 
YOU THINK?
I can't read the comatose letters  -  the
ones the man in the iron swing has written.
Some old Irish bard, younger than I but
whatever, has written the words never meant
to be said : wisdom and wit, crackling mirth,
all that junk science of the industry of poets.
I am so tired already, and I've not yet even started.
Let me bring beck the past  -  how's that? All that
whistling, wheedling and wheezing all together,
like old men, post-stroke, playing cards for paper
money and metal. They know little, and pronounce
nothing right. I may have been to that place once before,
I really cannot remember. My eyes are tired of marking.
-
The lady reading Tarot cards, I realize, has my name
mixed up with someone else's  -  all those predictions
of dire fate and happiness, were they meant, in that
order, for me or for another? A separate fellow with
a grander past and a wilder future? Or is that
all my fate to see? I thought I was blind
already, but now it is truly growing dark.

No comments: