Thursday, April 19, 2012

3589. IMMATERIAL MATTER AGAIN

IMMATERIAL 
MATTER AGAIN
The fencepost read 'Roger' in tall green letters.
I had no idea what it meant : calibrated for shame
or sharpness, the dog on the end of the leash was
sure to keep barking. Five other people were looking
on. It was auction day at carport 39.
-
I rode in on a steamer, force fed across the sky.
The man in the front row seat had said there was
nothing to fear 'these things have never gone down.'
I hate experimental aircraft, and still swear 'never again.'
-
Tall guy swings the gavel, gets down to business.
Davy Crockett's rifle, Madame Curie's laboratory
notebook, medical instruments from Parkland Hospital
in Dallas. Everything going for twelve, fifteen grand starts.
-
I sat back only to watch; my only configuration was in
biding my time and betting for low numbers. No, they
never came. I got beat on everything   -   Einstein's watch,
(I wondered, does it bend time still?), an original Eisenhower
jacket, and two hand guns from some Meerpool guy.
The next thing I knew, it was Tuesday morning and I
was back from Minnesota already.

No comments: