Friday, April 6, 2012

3557. WHY NOT OLNAY?

WHY NOT OLNAY?
Let the varied links come forth :
all those prancing men with nothing
more to do - sports and easy language,
the endless junk clothesline of circumstance
running off to the knot that never closes.
I understand that they have won, and this
is their resultant world. Yes, yet, they
are still, to my eyes, too much like girls.
-
If you would ask me, I would tell you  -
these whispers are far too faint. The little 
hole on the doorfront window saying,
'Please ring bell twice and wait.' Here,
someone has painted the doorsill red,
the only splash of color on an otherwise
dull, gray house. Beneath the sky, all
this life is an extended silence.
-
As such, I am picturing the noises not made;
for now these people are old, their children 
are gone, the two dogs have died their ages,
and all that rings are woodchimes for the wind - 
chimes as well now old and tethered.

No comments: