Monday, April 30, 2012

3615. NOW THE CANTOS, BROTHER BOB

NOW THE CANTOS,
BROTHER BOB
I am thinking of airplanes again; those old kind, the
sort that came up through there 1920's - Blaise Cendrars
and all his friends, riding high the cresting adventure: 'If you
like we will go by airplane and will fly over the country of
a million lakes.' Ah, yes. So many people come out of
shadows that you begin to wonder where they've all
been. Never a cloudless sky, never a moment occurs,
in the same fashion, when there isn't a thought about
something. All those cantos, all those words. We are
steaming off our language like an envelope flap,
curling the paper with the glue still attached.
-
Fifteen hundred and seventy five : that's the amount
of things I did today. I counted, every last one, or
almost, as I did them. I counted the people with
whom I spoke, the ones not liking me and the ones
I love. I counted the times the wind made me lift
my hands to hold my hair. I counted everything
solid that I had to move. No gestation period
like the one of waiting for a life to end.
-
I saw her, and I saw her again.
-
So that, now, restful and bushed, I am sitting back
talking with my wife. She is watching TV. Another
ancient movie in black and white. Catherene Hepburn
and Lucille Ball together, both young and stupid,
doing things I hate, but I hate movies so none of
it matters. Why anyone else would waste their
time  -  hmm  -  however so, that's a different
story, which is all a movie's meant to be,
after all I guess and who really cares.
-
I want to get up, take the gun from off
the chair, and blow my own brains out.
Now the cantos, brother Bob, now the
cantos again, and will you think of me?
-
Ah, yes. All those cantos,
all those words.

No comments: