Friday, April 13, 2012

3575. OH SAIL AND TACK

OH SAIL AND TACK
Right here where a New York ferry
docks I am standing apart and alone.
There is a fiery cheer coming off the
water, and people are talking of the 
past - something which is no more.
I would object and say that past is
so much with us, but no one here
would listen. For these are kin, the
efficient kin, of a modern day, one
I will not be part of : wired, connected,
in touch with themselves and each other,
in a world of ether connections. They
live in a magic they know nothing of.
-
I look up and see an ancient day - a
wavering smoke drifting up from the
tar and creosote wooden pilings creaking
in the water with age. Dragons sluice
through the mud, and old men, bent and
tired, try drinking spirits through their
wrinkled and calloused cupped hands.
-
Saint Valentine's Day with a torch.
Saint Patrick's Day with a sword  -
lethal moments of lethal time. The
big white boat is docking. The girl
with the pearlescent earrings and
deep blue coat says : 'I have two
of them. I bought a matching set.'

No comments: