Monday, April 23, 2012

3605. THE BRUNT OF MADAGASCAR

THE BRUNT OF 
MADAGASCAR
(1979)
Oh, I'll find something  -  that speeding car,
off-register, and spinning across the landscape,
neither stopping nor dawdling anywhere. The
high windows on the stuccoed apartment house
where the Kerbuniac Sisters kept their time.
It was little in Winter, mostly in Spring, and
then my penniless six months were over.
I returned to something much different  -  the
rifle-butt to the chest, that machine gun gunner's
coy eye as he scanned above the crowd he was
so brazenly shooting into. They told me, in that car,
could have been two fleeing agents; what or where,
I was never told. Some Soviet malarkey, back then
it could have been, or another typical anti-American
screed: people in bad-off Africa screaming about
time and gold and weapons and caches of lost
money. I never knew about any of it. I stayed
in place hoping to stay alive. Pretty simple
stuff; like big flies in my morning soup, or
something runny and yellow over my
evening's goat-meat meal plate.

No comments: