Monday, April 2, 2012

3542. THAT GUTTURAL EMBRACE

THAT GUTTURAL EMBRACE
That guttural embrace, like of two
border guards grumbling, two prisoners
enticed, why it must mean something.
I am watching the curtain for the wrestlers
to come out. Each one would embody a myth,
each a mythological craft of being.
-
Boys are playing shipwreck in the enclosed
waters of the pool. Nothing can harm them, so
they can afford to do whatever they wish: a
bombast with piracy, the saber-rattling of a
fool, walking a plank blindfolded. Ho-ho-hum,
and a bottle of rum; whatever that old rhyme is.
-
I take a lamp down from the shelf. An old
kerosene lantern for storms, something far
from today  -  another time and another place.
I place it forward on the diving board, after I've
already lit the wick. 'I want to be your light
beacon,' I announce. The boys look up,
and they begin to laugh.

No comments: