Friday, April 27, 2012

3612. KENILWORTH

KENILWORTH
I've tried a thousand times to win your heart,
but like fifteen ways to skin a cat nothing really
worked at all. You held the red paint so close
to your chest, you wore that red gown to the
movies. If I wasn't sequestered, then I wasn't
alone  -  I could never really reach out to you.
We once tried putting cashew nuts on your
peanut butter, but all the bread did was sag.
Reading Poe by candlelight, that did nothing
for us either : before we knew it, we were - as
the Eagles once sang - 'prisoners of our own
devise.' I don't know why, I always liked that
phrase. Now, a few years later, it seems,
you are hell-bent on reaching your point,
making a scene with your leathers and
arms. All right, then, go ahead. I swear
I know how you will eventually end up  -
like that girl I saw today outside the
Alchemist and Barrister, crying her
eyes out on the phone in her smock
and blouse and black waitress apron;
and oh, it was all very sad indeed.

No comments: