Wednesday, March 7, 2018

10,609. MAN, I CAN'T TELL A THING ANYMORE

MAN, I CAN'T TELL 
A THING ANYMORE
What have you got, old friend? 
Sawbuck, redefiner, tent designer
or tenterhook? I can't tell by seeing,
and every else looks strange. Here's
my latest address book. Within it,
everything's changed, with people
coming and going, one thing or the
other, and the only safety valve is
the more things change...the more
they remain the same.' I remember,
on that corner, used to be a costume
store, right by that old Jefferson
Courthouse tower; people coming 
and going. It was always nuts with
that Halloween Parade. Never meant
to formally be, but always was, gay.
-
Now, all that's over. The cabs aren't
yellow any longer, and people move
about at will  -  all the arm up in the
air stuff  -  can you believe  -  is over.
People reserve their cars and rides now
by looking at a phone app.  Everyone 
used to seem so helpless; now they do 
it all for themselves. Yes, a big difference, 
I suppose, but all the value is gone  -  just
like that costume shop that used to be.

No comments: