Sunday, March 4, 2018

10,599. BROKEN HANDLE ON THE BEAM

BROKEN HANDLE 
ON THE BEAM
Walking the street by he antique shop,
I noticed the lanterns along the side. 
They were old and quite quaint, and
someone had left them there. Three,
in a row, forgotten. This was a fancy
place, not a flea market type thing at 
all. Architectural remnants and old
signs and doorways, and things worth
thousands. Rock stars and millionaires,
I'd seen them each inside, buying old
fixtures for the east-side digs. Once,
out back, in 1988, I saw Rod Stewart
and a woman, buying an entire old
movie-marquee, the thing above the
entrance that shows what's playing.
It was a salvage, some 35 grand.
Some guys have all the luck? 
-
Here now, there were maybe two hours
left of daylight. Once it got dark, the
lanterns wouldn't be seen, but in this
waning light, if anyone had seen them
I was sure they'd soon be gone. Since
I really didn't know what to do  -  and
because I really didn't want them in
any way, I sauntered on, alone.


No comments: