Wednesday, March 7, 2018

10,605. TOO BAD

TOO BAD
Too bad how the broadbelt bandies, 
how the shimmer of that oasis runs
to so little? We can catch things on
the way up, or we can catch them
on the way down. (Not as simple as
it sounds). So what is it you want to 
know? The last time I was on a boat,
I can't remember. But I think it was
between Hatteras and Marvel. There
wasn't a lot of sound or noise  -  I'm sure
you know how fog covers things at sea
and closes everything down into a
half-matter of moment, the kind of
view you cannot see. That was all a
long time back, but I can sense some
of it yet. I was never much a sea-faring
guy. All those famous rock-stars, on
about 1980, they all went stupid,
buying boats, taking to the southern 
seas, spending a month or two at
bay, afloat  -  Steve Stills, Bob
Dylan. Then they come back and
write songs about it, saying how vivid
and how important the experience was.
Southern Cross, Caribbean Wind. What
a crock they believe their own drivel.
How facetious can a fellow get?
-
Anyway, now it's all back on land, and
the whole entire word lives on land. No
one wants the sea anymore  - fished out,
dead patches, clogged with plastic, floating 
sulphur pools and gambits of dark oils 
and tars. Put down the boat, for I'd rather
have a hot rod. Something radical as hell
that I can take to the open roadway, tripping
across Pennsylvania and Ohio doing 95.
Sometimes it's better to leave a place you've
never been. Other times it's not. Too bad.

No comments: