Friday, October 31, 2014

6039. A WEE BIT UTENSILE

A WEE BIT UTENSILE (1958)
Not a word maybe but it means a tool, and that be
that. Not yet, I wasn't born yesterday. It's difficult
to eat when one's mouth is closed  -  I learned
all of that a long time ago, as a young boy out
out camping in the woods. Wish I'd never left.
-
Do you really need to know more? I'll tell you:
when I was eight, I was hit by a train and only 
woke up about half-a-year later. They thought
I was dead at the scene, until I groaned when
some rough-rider first aid guy started to drag
me around. I was scrunched, you see, beneath 
the metal dashboard of a '53 Ford wagon.
-
My mouth was wired shut for about nine months  -
broken jaw and face and such All I could eat was
baby-food sucked from a deep spoon through the
metal clamps and braces holding my mouth. That,
and custard  -  which, believe me I grew to hate.
My parents' neighbor, Myrtle, used to come and 
visit  -  after I'd awakened from my coma-death -
about every two days with another bowl of that 
crud. Oowee, I hated that stuff.
-
Then I was in traction, all wired up, for another long
time  -  and some stupid male nurse kept coming around
to change the sheets  -  every time, twisting me and turning
me until I grimaced and cried out. It was so weird. Can
you figure any of this out? But, hell, do you really want 
to? I'm still here, and here I am. Utensile, it is.

No comments: