Friday, October 10, 2014

5988. 'I THINK WE'LL HAVE TO TALK ABOUT THIS HOUSE'

'I THINK WE'LL 
HAVE TO TALK ABOUT 
THIS HOUSE'
'Crinoline curtains and organdy mire, all those telltale
traces of fine desire : a corduroy bedsheet and an
old, velvet throw. I really think we'll have to talk.
Outside of this cherished room, the soft wind is
pushing the evergreen fronds, the needled bonds.
-
I've turned this three-speed light down to low. The
yellow it throws has a heavenly glow  -  we've got to
talk about this house. There are so many wild things  -  
like steeds and stallions running  -  outside the window
where I sit. May I have another one of Father's cigarettes?
-
How long has it been? Three years at least, since I was
here; and he's been dead twice that time. This old tobacco
box stinks, and this fag is hard as a nail. Too old to smoke,
for sure. No one's ever thrown these out? Has Aunt Jesta
ever been here since? That portrait on the wall is scary.
-
I bet that piano hasn't played a note in ten years, and couldn't
hold a tune now if it tried. I remember when we brought it in.
I was twenty-five, and we got it from Arnie's Tavern  -   
'a fifty-dollar bar-room upright', he called it. Oh, 
time sure was sweet back then. We've got to
talk about this house.'

No comments: