Wednesday, October 1, 2014

5959. IF I EAT TODAY

IF I EAT TODAY
Now is the moment to carry Thom Paine in his
chair. Let him sit there; in another two weeks
he'll be dead. I am working on another angle:
here, here, I am due at Pfaff's. It is years later,
and now years later again. On the train platform
the conductor has on his hard-peaked trainman's
cap, and the engineer comes by looking like a
lumberjack. The train waits while they compare
information. A snort, then, of electric noise, and
an air-brake clatch, and we are slowly gone.
I feel as if riding through time.
-
If court were today, I'd need to produce you as
evidence. Have you be served yet my subpoena?
You seem you must attend, for that means 'under
penalty'. (I am distant now, and in a strange land).
When Poe lived at 85 Amity Street, so too did I.
-
There was a time, yes, when every desk 
proudly boasted a heavy, black telephone. 
Everyone needed wires  -  a consular world to 
be sure, and soon the stagecoach man was never 
out of touch. Telegraph and telephone, as such. 
Now the young have taken over  -  the stupid young  -  
and all I hear are their mouse-like voices. 
If I eat today, I shall surely dine alone.
-
Next door to Coleman House, and Pfaff's below
it, in the cellar, once stood the grand Stuyvesant
Institute  -  oh palace of culture that! Wickedly
guarding the faces of slime in its day defined. 
('Through me, forbidden voices'). I lean against an
old wooden building there : now to see only the
coach driver approach me. I calmly inquire of his
health and day. ('Carry me when you go forth over
land or sea  -  for this merely touching you is enough,
is best, and, thus touching you, I would silently sleep 
and be caressed eternally'). Oh Walt Whitman,
you are still my friend.


No comments: