Thursday, October 9, 2014

5986. I HAVE NOTHING

I HAVE NOTHING
I have nothing now, semolina wheatface you,
and I'm going to start something quite new.
I have a table of my own at Markson's Jetting
Cafe. Red wine on the table, a few cigarettes, 
rolled and ready in my pocket. People around,
not many, but those who are are quality types. I'm
tired of the salacious bus-riders who yearn to talk.
Please remain silent; to reply I balk.
-
In 1964 I was still forming something. There was
a man on the TV, going on about bombs, reading
a dull paper  -  filled with lies as well  -  about the
Tonkin Gulf Resolution. Most all of those senators
and congressmen around him are dead now, and
they should have been dead then; and I should have
killed them. And him as well.
-
I ask you: how many lives are ruined by bastards?
Can you even count them, or remember? I held a
long rifle in my hands, right below the Huey and the
nearby Medivac copters  -  blades spinning, all
set to go. I was supposed to protect the 'periphery' 
from any intruders  -  shoot to kill, not just main.
-
Alas, I really couldn't hear a thing  -  just people in
fatigues endlessly talking  -  barking more like it,
commands and directives, understandings and plans.
Back then, it was nothing to see crumpled bodies
half-dead in the delta mud. We were killing a nation
while fighting a war  -  two nations, in fact, and
declared nonetheless. Killing the Cong and killing
ourselves as well. Fuck them all, then, fuck them.

No comments: