Sunday, October 5, 2014

5972. NO UNCOMFORTABLE HABITS

NO UNCOMFORTABLE HABITS
No longer knowing what I even remember, I am sitting
back here listening to a classical piece played by a
million strings and some other notes which seem,
by contrast, too contrived. Charles Ives? Today
I watched a guy fall off a fence he thought he could 
climb  -  it was funny in its way, the why's and how's
of it all. The three others with him laughed. He'd gotten
a grass stain in his dress beige pants, and they were due
for dinner somewhere soon. 'You'll be OK, just don't ask 
for salad greens'  -  I really wanted to say that but didn't.
Why anyone like that would try to vault a fence is now
beyond me. I hope they had a nice meal.
-
Here, instead, I am sitting alone thinking about things : echoes,
and ideas, and reverberations. The first girlfriend of the young
Robert Zimmerman was a girl named Echo Helstrom. I always
liked that name. I wonder if she ever felt she'd missed out?
-
Life is all like that sometimes : scaling fences, falling off, or
deciding not too. Standing pat, staying in place, holding steady.

No comments: