Sunday, October 26, 2014

6031. LORD FORGIVE ME FOR PASSING JUDGEMENT

LORD FORGIVE ME FOR
PASSING JUDGEMENT
Justice O'Hare, oh how I hate you, and all for which you
stand. I'd rather hang from a bridge than talk to you.
-
At the base of the Brooklyn Bridge, at the Manhattan side,
underneath it actually, is a plague about George Washington.
-
No one cares and no one reads it, or even knows it's there.
It was Cherry Street then, and, as President, he lived there.
-
He and Martha. They had a pew over on Broadway, at Trinity
Church, and the plaque says they were seen to ride each Sunday,
-
in the morning, on their big white steed, riding to church.
A dumb enough story, but worth something, yes.
-
What galls me is the stupidity of today's world : no one giving a
care to anything of the past at all. Nothing real. Nothing true.
-
Lord, forgive me for passing judgement, but
it seems now it's about the only thing I do.

2 comments:

Dancing Palmtrees said...

Now that you've brought this plaque to my attention if I'm in that neighborhood I will search for it. There are many old signs, plaques, & small NYC treasures that get ignored. Those of us with eagle eyes will find them and if possible photograph them. Every now and then I used to see ads for Benson's Burgers which used to be in St. Albans, Queens and I seem to recall one or two for Burma Shave but I can't remember the location. I will keep my eyes peeled for old school mementos. Thanks!

gary j. introne said...

Hi. You know, I only now saw this comment, so much later than when you posted it. I'm sorry to have missed responding to you in real time. Thanks. gar