Tuesday, October 28, 2014

6032. NOT TRUE, ALL THOSE THINGS

NOT TRUE, ALL THOSE THINGS
It's not true, all those things he said : the water
was already wine and the hordes weren't fed by bread.
We were short already, by a hundred, before we even 
started. None of the cars would start  -  jumper cables,
new batteries, all those guys with wrenches; it all
seemed sincere, but no one really meant a God-damned
thing they said. I stayed around to watch the ending,
but fell asleep instead. Now there's bunting on the
alley wall, and the crocodiles steaks that people
were eating were  -  supposedly  -  tasting really good.
Holy Frijoles, Batman ! What to do now ?
-
I rode the train this morning  -  way before dawn  -  to
New York City. When I got there, I had time for everything
(it's like that now) and I watched the sun come up over
the east-side buildings. Light was everywhere, suddenly.
Things glinted and shone; glass reflected back. What a
worldly kingdom all this is, I mused to myself. I went
over to the man holding coffee in his hand and repeated
that selfsame sentence. 'Would I wish that that was so.'
That's what he said in response to my good intention.
-
He meant a material gain. I just meant a good intention.

No comments: