Saturday, November 30, 2013

4797. KEEP TALKING

KEEP TALKING
Manitoba and points north; nothing to make
me mad. On some sideways bus, the guy reads 
a book on family ties  -  the man owns a junkyard 
and, in this book, his daughter has a kid she keeps 
secret. I told him it didn't sound as if it would 
interest me; then we began talking about an older 
book I'd once read, and he had too. 'Letourneau's 
Used Auto Parts', as I recalled the title, by Carolyn 
Chute. It was fun the way we both reminisced, about 
something so long ago  - a simple, silly book with 
Big Lucien in the lead. I guess the northland made
me here think of Maine. Then the bus stopped and 
we all dispersed. I really didn't wish  to see him 
again so I skipped the return boarding and caught 
the next bus. That meant a four hour wait, but it
would be worth it, I knew.

No comments: