Monday, November 4, 2013

4725. SIXTEEN NICKELS IN THE BLINK OF AN EYE

SIXTEEN NICKELS IN 
THE BLINK OF AN EYE
I started out. I started out. Yes, more than once was
the sun on the horizon. I was running late. I was
running late. Out here in the country, when it gets dark 
early it gets really dark. It gets really dark.
-
The power company wanted for 70 bucks a month for
a pole and a light  -  out front, at the least, I thought it
would illumine the dirt road. Then I thought better of it,
too much dough, too much bread, and with that dough
saved, I could buy bread. Conundrums like that make
me hard-swallow. There's nothing much else to say.
-
In the night, in the dark, in the pitch-black dark of night :
oh yeah, listen to this. I said no to the electric and just
stayed in the dark  -  living each night in the shadows and no
one ever came anyway. I figured 'hell, this ain't Paris, the City
of Lights, anyway, and girls are more fun in the dark.
-
'Yonder stands a boxer, and a fighter by his trade...'
I knew every line of that song once. 'I have squandered
my existence for a pocket full of mumbles such are promises...'
-
All lies in jest, but a man he hears what he wants 
to hear and disregards the rest.....

No comments: