Friday, November 29, 2013

4795. NEW SCRIPTURES

NEW SCRIPTURES
I don't want to break my elbow lifting beers, nor 
do I wish to spend seventy good hours raking 
and bagging leaves. These things I will leave to 
others as they are not my concern. I am torching 
new paper, printing new money, I am writing a new 
scripture, for you. That means, I'd admit, you all  -  
were I from the American south, it would sound 
better, that 'you all' stuff. My pencil is an eagle's 
quill; I'll let it be at that. 
-
This radio plays things all in reverse, the smokestacks
are drawing their smokes back in, and Isaiah is taking
back all his words. I am seemingly left here with
nothing at all : carabinieri are staring at me alone.
-
I don't wish to miscarriage justice, nor kiss the
back end of a queen  -  but I will stand here now
forever. Making sure these words can get across,
making sure I say it all, and making sure that
everyone  -  even Aleck himself  -  listens.

No comments: